advertisement

Blood Donation.

The process is obviously much more in depth than it was when I started back in the 80s.

I can't give blood these days because of my arthritis medication. I would need to be off my meds for 6 months before they would accept my blood.

I encourage everyone who can to donate blood if they are able.

Well it happened. I made my maiden donation this afternoon.
Well done, George. I will investigate for myself next week. It seems like a far more concrete gesture than standing on your doorstep clapping on a Thursday evening.

Edit: no need to wait, you can register online. I have done so and have booked in for 14 July. Well, if I can’t be in France, a church in Warwick will have to do.

Last edited:
PS: The nurse said I had the veins of horse! I commented that it must be Thoroughbred Horse! Smiles all round. Apparently it is average to take take seven minutes. Mine lasted two!

Well done George. I started doing this a few years ago and I am in the 7-8 minute range; two minutes is astonishing!

At one point about two months ago, the thought occurred to me that this could be a serious problem (not least based on the HIV/Hep C transmission disaster of the 80s) and I specifically asked NHS Blood and Transplant about it. Their response seemed to me at the time very well handled, and (crucially) on top of the evidence. They were well across the transmission risks and had sent text alerts to previous donors.

Well done George. I started doing this a few years ago and I am in the 7-8 minute range; two minutes is astonishing!

It never occurred to me that it was a competition, but now I think about it, I reckon my own performance isn't too shabby. Next time, I shall time myself. I don't think my veins are like those of a horse though: one arm in particular has some that are rather elusive, which has caused problems once or twice.

Hancock the health minister donated plasma the other day as part of the Covid-19 antibody trial and declared the whole process 'painless'. This confirmed my view that he is a hapless liar. I even wince at the finger prick test, and when the needle goes in* and out. Every time.

Kind regards

- Garry

* in is the worst. They swab with alcohol just beforehand, and some of it goes into the puncture mark and stings. By far my least favourite way of consuming alcohol.

Hancock the health minister donated plasma the other day as part of the Covid-19 antibody trial and declared the whole process 'painless'. This confirmed my view that he is a hapless liar. I even wince at the finger prick test, and when the needle goes in* and out. Every time.
I certainly won’t be watching to see what comes out. When I last had a blood test a few years ago I was perfectly happy and blasé about the whole thing up until the moment when I saw the damned stuff.

I certainly won’t be watching to see what comes out. When I last had a blood test a few years ago I was perfectly happy and blasé about the whole thing up until the moment when I saw the damned stuff.

Likewise. As Hancock's near namesake once observed, 'That's almost an armful!'

The thought is worse than the deed, I've got two donations under my belt now - it's about as uncomfortable as having food stuck in your teeth that you just can't shift. On the bright side, you get unlimited Seabrook crisps.

Well it happened. I made my maiden donation this afternoon...
...PS: The nurse said I had the veins of horse! I commented that it must be Thoroughbred Horse! Smiles all round. Apparently it is average to take take seven minutes. Mine lasted two!

Well done. I first gave blood in the 80's, hit and miss as to whether it hurts or not, depends on the Donor Carer.

Just to correct any misconceptions, most of the staff dealing with donors are Donor Carers, not Nurses.
A Donor Carer is like a phlebotomist, but trained to do one specific task.

I think the donation team is generally run by a senior sister/charge nurse.

The thought is worse than the deed, I've got two donations under my belt now - it's about as uncomfortable as having food stuck in your teeth that you just can't shift.
Oh, man - I really hate that! I wish you hadn’t told me...

Over the years I've had scores of blood tests, and the discomfort varies, and in some respects I think can be down to the phlebotomist. I always watch, and it's never been a big deal, though I do consider myself at least averagely squeamish. I've had the usual pinpricks, and I've also had ones that were literally painless and that I never felt. Ironically, I discovered that I'm mildly allergic to the tape they use to hold the cotton wool swab in place afterwards. The ensuing small rash was invariably more irritating than the puncture.

I don't want to put anyone off by making it sound worse than it is. As @deanf and @Chops54 point out, the crisps, tea, and biscuits more than compensate. I just don't see how anyone could claim that they don't notice sharp things being put into (and withdrawn from) their bodies whilst they are fully conscious/alert and, being pedantic perhaps, but the feeling you feel when that happens, that is called 'pain', however mild the intensity may be.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had needles stuck in me. The majority of them like giving blood don’t really hurt. It’s just a slightly unpleasant sensation for a millisecond or so.

Luckily I have good veins, I used to fill the bags quite quickly but took longer to stop after.

These days I have to have regular blood tests to check that my medication is not causing any problems.

Plenty of blood tests over the years, very rarely hurt in the slightest, when it did the blame was on the drawers technique but still nothing to complain about. I always watch, some kind of fascination as the first tube fills rapidly and another tube is quickly loaded, possibly repeat again...
I too cannot donate and would also be considered a mad cow in some countries!

If you're curious of a weird procedure, ask anyone who's had a bone marrow sample taken, now that's the most peculiar sensation I've ever experienced!

I just don't see how anyone could claim that they don't notice sharp things being put into (and withdrawn from) their bodies whilst they are fully conscious/alert
I used to inject several times a day, and sometimes I didn't feel the needle at all, just the pressure. But sometimes I hit a nerve and it was agony. Funnily enough, I now get light headed giving myself B12 injections (one of the joys of being a vegetarian for 50 years and not realising I was lacking B12).
EDIT. The weirdest feeling I have had, and recently, was having that tracing stuff injected for a scan. Strange heat spreading and feeling I was going to wet myself!

advertisement

Back