1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Friday RSD

Discussion in 'music' started by mikechadwick, Nov 29, 2019.

1. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Came back from my local emporium with a bunch of new vinyl:
    Miles Davis - In Tokyo
    Herbie Hancock - DirectStep
    Miles Davis - Early Minor
    Jimi Hendrix - Merry Christmas & Happy New year Pic Disc
    Robert Johnson - Sweet Home Chicago 10”
    Blind Willie Johnson - Dark was the Night 10”
    Freddie King - The Mojo King

Not a bad haul for the lesser RSD!

blossomchris, alan967tiger and myles like this.
  2. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

Not given a Black Friday discount, but bought today anyway at my local vinyl shop.

Van Morrison, Beautiful Vision - one of my all time favourites and his best, I think.

Jackson Browne & David Lindley- Live at the Main Point, 7th Sept 1975. Not an audiophile recording. Recorded off air from a radio broadcast, but great atmosphere and very enjoyable all the same.

Kevin

3. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

This is the first I knew about another RSD. I would buy the Miles In Tokyo straight away, but I can't find any information about whether it is mastered from the tapes. I guess not, so I'm out, which is a shame as it certainly looks pretty with the OBI.

4. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I tried online to get the MD - Early Minor and gave up with the prices, I suppose the idea is to get down the local record shop. The trouble with the record shops now is they are either full of hipsters or 50+ searching for stuff I discarded years ago at a price level I now pay for a bottle of decent wine.

One thing I have learnt recently is it does not over bother me if I cannot acquire a record, I can live without it.

Bloss

paulfromcamden likes this.
  5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

My local shop X Records in Bolton had several copies when I bought mine - around £20.

6. blossomchris

Alas, my bus pass may not take me that far, but I am tempted.

Knew I was not cured.

Bloss

mikechadwick likes this.
  7. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

They do mail order.

8. blossomchris

Thanks, ordered MD, TCIC and Motown rare tracks.

Must try harder to resist as I even thought about the buy £100's worth and get free p&p

Bloss

Stunsworth likes this.
  9. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Thinking about it, I was shopping in Leeds for hours yesterday and could have bought the Miles releases from Jumbo. I can't believe I never knew about this RSD thing. I've managed to get Live in Tokyo from ebay but I'll leave the rest to the kids.

10. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I think that it's all too easy to get sucked onto the Black Friday thing. The problem is that some of the smaller retailers are surviving on all too small margins as it is. Also, the issue with RSD is that you can end up with stuff you didn't really want! There were a couple of local stores that were offering 20% off vinyl; better to get a discount on the stuff that you really want. My wife and I were planning on popping over to HMV and then grabbing some lunch while we were there, but then the car broke down half way there, so that was our plans scuppered! I plan on having a quiet day doing nothing much today.

11. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Never heard of this. I'd welcome your impression when you play it, please.

12. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Once heard, never to be replayed. it's pretty awful! Instrumental Medley of Little Drummer Boy/ Silent Night & Auld lang Syne (4.28) & Three little Bears (4.13) b/w Extended 7.25 version of Little Drummer Boy/ Silent Night & Auld lang Syne. Originally released US only on Reprise 7" in 1974.
    [​IMG]

13. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

blossomchris likes this.
  14. blossomchris

^^^^ I have been fortunate, apparently my 3 purchases are all playing/sounding well.

Bloss

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Listening to Miles Davis Early Minor, and very good it sounds too.

Charlie Parker and The Comet Is Coming to come.

blossomchris and mikechadwick like this.
  16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I always come away from RSD in an angry frame of mind, the releases are nearly always somewhat average.

17. blossomchris

Arrived today, best packaging I have ever received, and I have ordered stuff from several countries. Better than amazon.

Bloss

18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Glad to hear it arrived safely - I’ve only ever bought from in the shop.

19. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

Was annoyed to miss the Zappa at my local shop. Later on I got an email from Rough Trade announcing they were selling their RSD stuff online. Checked the price on the Zappa - £21.99 (plus p&p). For a 10" picture disc of 4 tracks from the new Hot Rats boxed set (2 tracks, each with a variant). So that's at least £5.50 per track, on a crappy picture disc. Glad my local didn't get it in, I'd probably have caved with the actual record in my hand.