advertisement

Billy's HiFi Lounge Record of the Week

HiFi Lounge

Trade: HiFi Lounge
6kfoAGT.png
Hi Everyone, After a long hot week, we can all probably do with some cool; music to wind down to and enjoy! I was recently introduced to Dexter Wansels debut album, Life on Mars and immediately knew I was in for a treat after hearing the title track. A heavy mix of cosmic funk, disco-infused soul, and jazz fusion is how I would describe it, quite an amalgamation, for sure! I know what you are thinking; who? The only Dexter I was familiar with prior was from the cartoon series Dexter's laboratory! I have grown to love this album and wanted to share something different. If you have the time and are unfamiliar, give it a go, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts!

Before releasing Life on Mars, Dexter Wansel had already established a successful career in writing and producing for other artists such as The Jacksons, Teddy Pendergrass and the Stylistics, to name but a few. Wansel's music has also been sampled over the years by countless hip-hop artists, with Theme From The Planets being recognised- as one of the first foundation beats of hip-hop. Dexter Wansels contribution to music has not only left a legacy behind but also influenced modern music today and continues to inspire a younger generation.

The apt title Life On Mars sets the theme for the album, which takes you on a sonic voyage. From groove-based instrumentals to softly sung ballads rich in harmony, it covers a lot of ground whilst remaining cohesive and free-flowing. The overall production sounds smooth and sophisticated, with the warmth of tape gently glueing everything together. If interested, I recommend listening to the drum intro from Theme From The Planets, one of the best-sounding kits I have heard.

One Million Miles from the Ground has to be the highlight track for me, and I highly recommend giving it a spin. It starts as a soft ballad with a beautiful chorus supported by angelic backing singers slowly building into a laid-back silky groove, gently carrying you away. That's all this week, Look forward to hearing your thoughts! Billy

Just listened to this on Spotify, great stuff from someone I’ve never heard of. I don’t love the ballads, but the more dance floor oriented stuff is right up my street. There’s a double CD of everything he recorded for Philly International, will definitely check that out.

That is one of the best albums to come out on the Philly label IMHO. Up there with MFSB's "Love is the Message".

I have a huge love for the space-influenced jazz / funk / soul. If you like this, next one to seek out is Charles Earland's long out of print "Odyssey".

Just googled the Wansel, superb stuff infuriating it is out of print. The Earland above sounds really good too. This is an area of music I’d love to deep-dive as there is so much cool stuff. So much of it is out of print or (justifiably) very expensive if you want a good copy.

This Billy Paul is a favourite Phily label record, but there is a ton of stuff I’ve never heard. I really need to explore this stuff.

I’ll add this George Duke to the thread too, a huge influence on the current soul-jazz scene, all over Thundercat’s stuff etc. I was lucky enough to pluck a mint original out of a £1 bin about a decade ago. It is an amazing album.

Nice find, Billy. You had me at this...

Wansel's music has also been sampled over the years by countless hip-hop artists, with Theme From The Planets being recognised- as one of the first foundation beats of hip-hop.

whosampled lists 270 songs (!) sampling ‘Theme From the Planets’, including this classic from the peerless Eric B. & Rakim...

I’m just an addict, addicted to music
Maybe it’s a habit, I gotta use it
Even if it’s jazz or the quiet storm
I hook a beat up, convert it into hip hop form

(I didn’t know it then, but Rakim’s supersmooth flow is partly thanks to playing sax and loving Trane.)

After a couple more such diversions, I eventually ended up listening to all of Life on Mars late last night, and yeah, it’s pretty cool. Thanks!

Dexter is having a bit of a renaissance at the moment.

Dexter Wansel: Interview with the songwriter, producer and architect of the 'Philly Sound'

That is one of the best albums to come out on the Philly label IMHO. Up there with MFSB's "Love is the Message".

I have a huge love for the space-influenced jazz / funk / soul. If you like this, next one to seek out is Charles Earland's long out of print "Odyssey".

Thanks for the recommendation will definitely check it out!

Just googled the Wansel, superb stuff infuriating it is out of print. The Earland above sounds really good too. This is an area of music I’d love to deep-dive as there is so much cool stuff. So much of it is out of print or (justifiably) very expensive if you want a good copy.

This Billy Paul is a favourite Phily label record, but there is a ton of stuff I’ve never heard. I really need to explore this stuff.

I’ll add this George Duke to the thread too, a huge influence on the current soul-jazz scene, all over Thundercat’s stuff etc. I was lucky enough to pluck a mint original out of a £1 bin about a decade ago. It is an amazing album.
Thanks Tony, will have a listen when I'm out of the office and get back. I've always enjoyed George Duke....Love "it''s on" performance on YouTube....the drummer kills it!

RGONlXa.png

Hi everyone, this week's album, Just An Old Fashioned Love Song by Paul Williams has been a recent find for me! I had never heard of Paul Williams before and was unfamiliar with his work. After many hours of listening, I can confidently say I have become a fan!

Amazingly his career spans the entire arts sector from writing songs for other artists, scoring to picture, acting and even contributing to some of the songs from Daft Punk's RAM album. A seriously creative individual equipped with an impressive set of skills!

Paul Williams also wrote some of The Carpenter's best-known songs which amazes me! We’ve Only Just Begun, Rainy Days and Mondays and I Won’t Last a Day Without You are just some of the incredible songs he wrote for the pop giants. Having already been so familiar with The Carpenter's stunning arrangements of these classics it was great to hear them from the writer's perspective. I highly recommend checking out Paul Williams' versions of these three tracks that share some similarities but are a little rougher around the edges.

Just An Old Fashioned Love Song is what I would call most positively an easy-listening album with some cracking songs. If you are a fan of artists such as The Carpenters, Bread, and Jim Croce, give it a spin, I think you will like it! We’ve Only Just Begun is my pick from the album. A simple arrangement compared to The Carpenter's well-known version featuring Karen's angelic voice and complex harmonies. Paul's stripped-back rendition captures the same charm whilst offering a less involved production. There are no bells and whistles, just quality songwriting and heartfelt performance. If you are unfamiliar, give it a chance! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Billy

advertisement

Back