advertisement

Billy’s HiFi Lounge Record of the Week

HiFi Lounge

Trade: HiFi Lounge
5DWrlpm.jpg

Hi Everyone, a change in the genre this week with Neil Young's biggest-selling album Harvest. I could have picked many others but Harvest was my first introduction to Neil’s work. In my experience, some of the best albums require a little more patience and persistence and this was no exception.

My uncle used to play the record most weekends and it took me a while to appreciate it. Maybe there was something in the vulnerability in his voice that made me feel unsure but one day Heart of Gold came on and something clicked. I loved it, and soon became obsessed with the entire album and learnt every song!

Old Man has to be one of my favourites from the record. A hauntingly emotive song exploring mortality and reflection. The intro draws you in immediately with the lyrics "old man, look at my life, I'm a lot like you were". The instrumentation further cements the track and the dynamics slowly build throughout, conjuring up the feeling of contemplation. Recently my friend told me that James Taylor played the banjo part, which makes it even better. The overall production is warm and timeless, allowing the song to breathe.

There is an altogether sense of belonging and human connection, an awareness that many of us are treading a similar path, navigating love and loss.

What's your favourite from the album? Billy

Really should get to listen to this LP- but have trouble getting past Neil's voice- but a desert island disc for most folk, we are all different and happy listening.:)

advertisement

Back