advertisement

Billionaires In Space

Virgin released some amazing stuff, e.g. Faust, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Can, Ashra, Steve Hillage, PIL, Magazine, Japan etc. Much as I dislike what Branson later became his record label really was good.

PS I like to think I’d do some good were I to find myself a billionaire, like say Bill Gates has with his wealth, but I suspect I’d just build an army of giant manga robots like everyone else.

I'd have a squint into the Shenanigans of the Gates Foundation, it's funding and associations before wearing the Rose tinted specs re Bill. No one so intertwined with the Clinton's is up to any good. Not even sure those mentioned are close to being the richest men in the World, just a few underlings trying to put a nice face onto being obscenely rich.
I had near 200 billion in the bank, I wouldn't even tell the wife let alone broadcast it:)

Regret?
Are you joking?
He repeated it claiming it is acceptable in South Africa to use the phrase.
It went to court and Musk won!
A despicable human being.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50695593

I didn't realise the value of ones' reputation was so high.

As pointed out above Musk did eventually apologise.

People need to be more benevolent and some seek to pull down people from a pedestal with a very un-nerving tenacity and ugly pleasure.

I like to see the positive side of a person and this story although unfortunate it does nothing to damage Musk's inspirational achievements and personality in my book.... Good try though.

Congratulations Sir Richard Branson, what an amazing achievement, truly inspiring.

I for one, definitely want to be a space tourist, if it becomes more affordable! To look back on the earth, has to be the most incredible experience, second only to having children I would imagine!

This may seem counter intuitive, but I believe it could be a really good thing long term for the planet. The more billionaires that get to experience this, the more it could change their focus, with a far greater emphasis on protecting and preserving the planet. Redirecting their wealth to this and other humanitarian causes…

Re OS/2 - I used it until I jumped ship to the land of Apple in about 2004. I still have a genuine IBM Thinkpad with a dual boot OS/2 system. I managed to visit the development labs in Boca Raton and Austin Texas. I was aware of the detailed work in making OS/2 a reliable system, unlike the Gates product. Just compare the number of crashed money dispensers running 'Doze compared to crashed OS/2 money dispensers. (OS/2 was phased out nearly 20 years ago or more I think). My other claim to fame I was the product manager of the IBM Works for OS/2 product which I used as my my default home system.

Worked perfectly, very impressive given how shonky and upcycled the thing looked on the launch pad. Even landed the booster safely. Far less cheesy media presentation than Virgin too (I deliberately watched the Blue Origin YouTube feed in order to compare!).

Could the engineers have been any less subtle with metaphor in the design of the 'rocket'?

I mean, I understand the principle of function over form but . . . I had to cross my legs during separation.

John

Look, look, there's a giant dick heading for space!

...and there's a rocket, too.

ap21201487604181-wide-45dfaf508eb17c0f8eb0f723025dde86dc5e632a-s1000-c85.jpg

For me, the most interesting part of today’s launch was the press conference afterwards. Bezos has a clear vision of what reusable rockets can enable. He wants to move all highly polluting heavy industry into space so we can stop destroying our atmosphere. He is also skeptical that Mars can someday be our Plan B.

I think he’s right, and what we are seeing is much more than “billionaires in space”. I congratulate Bezos and Blue Origin on what is hopefully just the first of many scientific achievements. I also hope that competition with Branson and Musk helps accelerate the timeline. It’s not like we have a lot of time before global warming becomes unfixable.

I felt Bezos talked a surprising amount of sense, especially given he’d just ridden a giant penis into space. He seemed to have far more of a vision and reasoning that stretched beyond a simple profit margin or self-gratification. It will be interesting to see how this all progresses over the next decade or so. There was some discussion of the propulsion system and how the waste products was pretty much just steam, so it sounds like potentially a fairly green and non-destructive way of getting up there. I’ll have a better look at the technology at some point, I’d previously pretty much dismissed both as vanity projects, but there may well be something more to this.

advertisement

Back