advertisement

Billionaires In Space

Yes, pure Gerry Anderson!

PS Not sure how much more of the totally cringeworthy corporate egofest I can stomach. It’s beyond my comprehension that a company would want to present themselves like this. I guess Apple is the modern benchmark for this kind of thing, and this is what it looks like when done really, really badly.

With the difference that Apple's promo videos shows the company in terms of us, the consumers, being hip 'n trendy (even if this is nothing like the reality), whereas the Virgin space thing is just a Branson ego-trip.

With the difference that Apple's promo videos shows the company in terms of us, the consumers, being hip 'n trendy (even if this is nothing like the reality), whereas the Virgin space thing is just a Branson ego-trip.

Apple are getting increasingly strange and cringy of late. The more recent WWDC events look like they are hosted by entirely CGI-generated ‘people’ broadcasting from a space station in the future. This may of course be true.

PS By comparison Virgin can’t set up a mic without getting feedback!

I haven't seen an Apple promo thing for years, maybe not since Steve Jobs died.

I've just remembered the Mitchell and Webb adverts!

I always thought Robert Webb came across as a know-all knobhead in those.

That is really, really strange. I could only stand five minutes or so. A combination of a bad '90s movie about computer hackers, the Jetsons cartoon from the '60s, and a bad dream I had a few nights ago where Boris Johnson was robbing my chocolate digestives.

I guess it shows how hard it is to be 'new', and also what a bad idea it is to let 'developers' anywhere near a camera. Unless of course the 'developers' are really actors, but not very good ones and a bit rusty after 18 months without theatre or film work.

My problem with Apple is that they have no idea what computer scientists look like. They're quirky geniuses, not trendy 20-somethings who communicate through animated emojis.

d41586-020-03068-9_18511382.jpg

knuthyoda.jpg

margaret_hamilton5.jpg

Joe

OS/2 was quite good, a proper 32 bit system, but it needed quite a bit of grunt to run it. I was responsible for a server room with a fair few IBM PS/2 Model 95 servers running it, Lotus Notes, AS/400 interfaces etc and it was solid and reliable if horrifically slow to boot after a shutdown. 486DX2/66 spec IIRC, so pretty primitive given the context of a global pharmaceutical giant!
I've still got an original set of OS/2 Warp disks here, I wonder if they'd install on modern hardware, or in a VM?

Is Branson just one small step before a off world gated community exists for those who destroyed the Earth below.:(

I can’t remember the exact source for a link, but I heard someone at NASA disproving that very firmly saying that Branson, Musk etc are just on the very periphery and that sort of thing is just not possible. The ISS requires huge teams of the very best scientists on the planet to keep people alive up there, and the people up there have an exceptionally basic existence lacking what we would consider proper food, bathroom facilities, privacy, pretty much everything. The astronauts are also exceptionally highly trained to fix stuff that breaks, and it does so all the time, hence regular six-eight hour spacewalks just maintaining the thing. The bottom line is there is no romance or escapism to it, it is very hard and highly skilled work. Then after a comparative short time astronauts start to experience muscle wastage, bone depletion etc. What Branson achieved today was impressive, but really it is closer to the X15 of the late 1950s than even NASA of the 1980s, let alone now; an aeroplane bouncing up above the atmosphere for a very short time and gliding back to earth.

Nobody is perfect... I certainly am not. In fact this aspect of humanity maybe its secret essence.

I'm sure he regretted that comment soon after he said it and I would guess he does in hindsight. I hope the diver forgave him, I would have.
Regret?
Are you joking?
He repeated it claiming it is acceptable in South Africa to use the phrase.
It went to court and Musk won!
A despicable human being.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50695593

advertisement

Back