advertisement

Bill Turnbull RIP

I suspect the NHS is somewhat behind the curve in cancer testing / early detection if the experience of both of my parents is anything to go by. AFAICT the NHS is currently near useless for rapid diagnosis of serious illness, whether due to under-funding, under-staffing (thanks Brexit), or the endless reorganizations. I think 10+ years of Tory government have near destroyed it - just like it was in the late 90s after the last Tory innings.

Anyway, to the subject of PSA - I think the latest thinking is that
- annual PSA testing is not necessary, and may lead to more harm than good
- many men may only benefit from one test every 5-10 years (https://www.urologytimes.com/view/single-psa-test-45-may-predict-aggressive-pca)
- a high PSA should be repeated, and followed by MRI of the prostate before considering biopsy (since biopsy is not without risk).
- You have to prep for the PSA (no ejaculation for at least 3 days, no riding a bike for 5+ days).

this was the advise from a urologist I saw earlier this year. I think eventually infrequent PSA testing may be found to be useful and cost effective, but I suspect the NHS will be slow to adopt it.

Heard the same from my urologist. I have a enlarged prostate and an elevated PSA. Have had two MRIs, the first two years ago and again last month. They were ordered to look evidence of lumps and lesions, and to measure prostate size. Fortunately, no cancer was found. Larger prostates do produce larger PSA numbers, so some math is needed for a proper diagnosis.

Peeing takes me longer than it used to, but I’m told that’s fairly common among 65 year old men. In my case, frequency is also higher due to a diuretic I take for my heart. My urologist said that there are meds I can take to shrink my prostate (and lower my PSA), but I am pretty cautious about adding new meds and am holding off for now.

@Somafunk - thanks for your post and for your inspiring attitude. I wish you all the best in the days ahead.

Ah, the biopsy gun. Something you never forget, especially the reload delay. The urologist fired it so many times I thought she was using me for target practice:p

Ah, the biopsy gun. Something you never forget, especially the reload delay. The urologist fired it so many times I thought she was using me for target practice:p

Not painful but the precautionary antibiotics I took didn't work and I got sepsis which wasn't fun.

My Dad had PSA tests showing ridiculously high levels for years, 5 separate lots of biopsies were taken and they finally found cancer when he was 85, an MRI was never offered. Dad lasted 3 years having been told it was "watch and wait" which became radiotherapy (2 doses) and hormone treatment. After his death I had to go through his papers and found the original diagnosis, it was clear from this that his was terminal from the time it was found (metastasised and in his bones). His decline was miserable and painful.

For me, despite some symptoms, I could sleep through the night without having to get up for a pee but my wife and daughter kept on and I was tested PSA 29. Thankfully our Health Authority undertake MRIs in such circumstances as well as biopsies so mine was found quickly but was locally advanced and had gone beyond the prostate. It looks like I'll need radiotherapy soon but I'm pretty confident that'll sort it.

Guys, please look at all the symptoms, there are many apart from the most obvious, Prostate charities are good at detailing them. Good luck to everyone dealing with it and those worried about it and best wishes to Somafunk in particular.

This is a really informative thread. I'm slightly embarrassed at my ignorance of the subject. Thanks to all the members who have been so open in sharing their experiences of such a personal matter.

We had some unexpected bad news about a friend yesterday so on a slightly soppy note I'm also taking this thread as a reminder to spend my days well and appreciate the people around me.

I have been very mindful of prostate issues since my father died of prostate cancer at the very young age of 56, some 30 years ago.

My doctor was not keen on just doing a PSA test - a PSA test without any other symptoms at all could return an alarming false positive. So that is how it has stayed - and now at 65 got diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer - which will do me in - just a question of how long.

Treatment so far has improved my living life but the cancer is still there. Radical treatments to either remove or cure have not worked - so I have to live with it as best I can and will start a new treatment regime later this month - going to be 6 months of a different Chemo to 'extend' life. 1 year or 2 or 3? - don't know - and no one can say. All I can say now is that if I get 5 years I should be extremely lucky.

advertisement

Back