advertisement

Bill Evans

I have the "pirate" 12 Classic Albums set and the sound quality is fine. Similar to streaming vs Tidal. I can hear some tape hiss at the start of the Moonbeams album with both.

An often overlooked gem in the Bill Evans catalogue, is the live 1967 Village Vanguard recording with Eddie Gomez and Philly Joe, called “California Here I Come” on the Verve label.
Eddie Gomez is arguably the best bass player Evans played with since Scott LaFaro. It’s a great live set that I wished I had on vinyl...

Brian

Although Evans never quite reached the heights of the Evans-laFaro-Motian trio again, I really enjoy the Shelly's Manne-hole performances with Larry Bunker and Chuck Israels released as At Shelly's Manne-hole and Time Remembered.

Thanks, I’ll watch that later. At first I thought Evans was explaining what he was going to play to the TV producer, it only gradually dawned on me that he was explaining the structure of the material to a stand in drummer. I find something quite wonderful about the whole thing, perhaps it’s because of the naturalness of it all.
Yes the naturalness makes it seem now, modern and immersive, the viewer is right there.

Finally got Evans In England. On CD. Sounds wonderful. And sleeve notes top it off perfectly. Yum.

advertisement

Back