advertisement

Bill Evans, Waltz for Debby

I have my late fathers original mono vinyl pressing, which still sounds very good despite all the playings on BSR auto changers he gave it back then, and I guess to me is the definitive version as I heard it so many times from being knee high to a grasshopper onward, and it does sound odd to hear Astruds vocals panned hard left on the CD!
Getz Gilbert is a great record, definitely something we can agree on;)

...the Complete Riverside & Milestone box (a true bargain at present, folk really need to buy this!)...
Working my way through it I got to ‘Interplay’ and couldn’t fathom why it sounded so familiar for a day or so. Eventually I realised the tune had been lifted (or maybe just ‘referenced’) by a famous rock band - has anyone else spotted it?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I just decided to give a A/B comparison of CD vs vinyl on this. The CD I have is the 2000 Riverside release that used K2 20-bit super coding (similar to XRCD), and my LP is a 1980s Riverside re-pressing. I was struck that on the LP, it has piano hard-right, drums and bass hard left, with only occasional bits of cymbals bleeding over into the right - a small enough amount that it could just be bleeding into a piano mic. On the CD, the drums sound much more centered and more stereo (sounds like different left/right cymbals). I'm guessing this might have been recorded to a 3-channel tape, and they decided to pan the channels differently for the LP and CD 2-channel mixdowns. The CD panning is much more pleasant and hi-fi sounding, but I assume the LP is closer to how it was intended to sound at the time. Regardless, it makes it impossible to really compare the quality of the two releases head-to-head.

Interesting, the complete 3xCD issue is very wide; Bill behind the right speaker, drums and bass behind/in front of the left with some cymbal bleed. The bass drum bleeds to the right in the solos too. I thought the original OJC CD was pretty much the same (I have it so I’ll dig it out sometimes). My guess is the 2000 issue has been remastered in a slightly ‘RVG Edition’ style to mono it a bit (a shame IMO, I like the soundstage width).

@Tony L On the 2000 CD, the bass is still hard left, and piano hard right, it's just the drums that seem to have moved center. So the ensemble is still wide, but now Paul and Scott aren't standing on top of each other. Still, not really faithful to the original release, so I have mixed feelings about it.

That is interesting, I’m surprised the tape allowed that. They must have used three-track, I’d always assumed it was a two-track stereo deck.

It was recorded on a portable 2 channel 15 ips ATR tape machine. might even have been quarter inch - but I'd need to check on that. I'll check my copy at the weekend. :)

@Swamp Thing I'd love to see your source on that. So far, the best I've been able to find is that it was recorded on a portable Ampex, but not the model. They were making both 2-channel and 4-channel portable machines at the time.

@Swamp Thing I'd love to see your source on that. So far, the best I've been able to find is that it was recorded on a portable Ampex, but not the model. They were making both 2-channel and 4-channel portable machines at the time.

Liner notes - back of a reissue album, booklet with Tape Project tapes and somewhere else I read it - and they tallied so I believed it. I'll dig them all out later when I play the tape. ATR vs Ampex is my memory going again!

advertisement

Back