advertisement

Bill Evans (trio)

I got this one - pretty sure its 'unofficial' but sound is good

https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-Trio-Everybody-Digs-Bill-Evans/release/9002094

BTW if its 'Peace Piece' you heard that's why I went out and clicked for this immediately

That does look to be a copyright dodger.
I didn't check the track as all I needed was the ablum title, but I beleive that it was peace piece.
That said, I have spent ages searching and found nothing legit at less than quite a bit of money - several £10's at least.

Cheapish legit Bill Evans vinyl does seem scarce on the ground - I've mostly had to slum it with CD versions which thankfully can often be had for a few quid.

P.S. Riverside is owned by Concord Music Group who also own the Prestige catalogue. I wish they'd pull their finger out and do a decent vinyl reissue program!

Unless you don’t have a CD player just buy the Riverside box set as mentioned SYP thread, it is amazing VFM. 15 albums!

Peace Piece is the signature, err, piece on ‘Everybody digs’. I reckon he is about the easiest Jazz great to buy, hardly any duffers.

Yeah it was Peace Piece played on Iggy Pop's 6 music show a couple of years ago that made me sit up and think "maybe I should stop laughing at Jazz". Two years later I have a box full of Jazz LPs. I seem to like "hard bop" especially at the weirder end as per Out to Lunch, and have fixated on a favorite tenor saxophonist, Johnny Griffin. His records go for cheap and are well worth it IMO. There's a bluesy touch to his playing and also a lot of playfulness.

I got this one - pretty sure its 'unofficial' but sound is good

https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-Trio-Everybody-Digs-Bill-Evans/release/9002094

BTW if its 'Peace Piece' you heard that's why I went out and clicked for this immediately
Might just pick that up. DOM get slated on discogs but I've never owned any of their releases so what do I know. Discogs seems the opposite of Richer Sounds in that everyone says everything is amazing on RS, while at discogs every little fault is documented.

Bill Evans is of course the pianist on four of the tracks on the "greatest jazz record of all time" Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The last track Flamenco Sketches starts the same as Peace Piece.
On My Riverside Keepnews Collection cd of Everyone Digs Bill Evans. the bonus track is Some Other Time, which was the basis for Peace Piece, and is a lovely companion piece to Peace Piece.
Also on cd I've got Bill Evans/Jim Hall - Undercurrent on Blue Note, and a 10 cd boxset called Blue in Green, which cost me a tenner new and is still available, not sure what label but looks a "Euro public domain" release, but some discs in the set are probably not readily available elsewhere, it does include Kind of Blue too though.
I also have on vinyl Bill Evans Trio - Explorations on Riverside OJC-037, a US copy from 1982 which I got at one of the hi-fi shows about 30 years ago. About time I gave it a spin again.

I am not sure why people think Everybody Digs...is expensive on LP. There have been many legit reissues, so it must not be that hard to find. But bear in mind that this Evans album has never been a great recording. The Village Vanguard ones are in a different league, recorded by David Jones on his portable recorder.

I am not sure why people think Everybody Digs...is expensive on LP. There have been many legit reissues, so it must not be that hard to find.

I don't think it's that's scarce but for some reason there just aren't that many in the UK - Discogs has three copies, all VG+ - a lightly scuffed OJC for £20, a German 80s repress for £35 or a 1960 UK Riverside for £250.

One of those artists I’ve never managed to get, and yet something keeps me trying. He’s sublime on Kind of Blue, which prompted me to buy the two VV dates.

I have an empty house this afternoon (joy!) so I’ll stick on Waltz for Debbie, and see how I get on. I still feel it will click for me one day.

Can anyone point me at a decent and sensibly priced CD issue of New Jazz Conceptions please?
Not absolutely sure of the provenance of the multitude of issues out there…

Can anyone point me at a decent and sensibly priced CD issue of New Jazz Conceptions please?

Original Jazz Classics are usually very good. Remasters though...

Not quick, but Discogs will give you the label for each issue and then a link to the label, and that will usually tell you if it is kosher.

There really ought to a be a pinned thread/document that simply lists copyright-dodgers and any other labels to be treated with caution - I have asked........

Yeah there’s a good few OJC issues over the years but nothing v recent or sensible price at first glance

advertisement

Back