advertisement

Bill Evans (trio)

Vinny

pfm Member
R3, on international jazz day, introduced me to "Everybody Digs Bill Evans".

So, is there a good record/LP (aka vinyl) version that is available at modest price? LOADS of copyright dodgers out there. Mono would be absolutely fine.
A scan of Discogs is way too tedious and confusing.

Once I get that far, I'll be back for some "where to go next" suggestions I suspect.

Late-70s-80s OJC would be my budget choice for sure. It is a classic, so lots out there. The OJCs are consistently good and whilst all vinyl is climbing at present I’d still expect it to be findable in the £8-15 range for a really nice copy (they used to be a fiver or less).

PS The Complete Live At The Village Vanguard 1961 CD box set is absolutely essential. It is the full tapes from which his two most famous albums (Waltz For Debbie, Sunday At The Village Vanguard) were compiled. It is just jaw-droppingly brilliant telepathic playing and a wonderful recording. My copy hardly ever ends up back filed in the rack, it’s always to be found on the floor in front of one of the CD players.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a nice copy of Sunday at the Village Vanguard on vinyl. It is a pretty special record for me as I have been to said venue a couple of times.

His album with Tony Bennet is also rather special. I think he is one of those artists who you cannot go wrong with, he just oozes musicality.

I'll have to dig that out! I'm ashamed to say that I received it as a gift & I've not got around to playing it; thanks for the heads up Tony!

Listening to it now, guilty as above to not giving it the attention it deserves.

.sjb

Likewise, listening to this now, having been reminded by the play of Peace, Peace on R3 that I own this on CD. I have the American Jazz Classics CD of the complete 1958/59 winter trio sessions. Sounds OK to me but you will probably tell me there are better recordings availabe. But then it only cost £2 from a charity shop.

Trio 64 & 65 are great, but ‘peak Evans’ is unquestionably the first trio as so magically captured on the Village Vanguard dates. Within just a matter of weeks from that series of gigs the bassist, Scott LaFaro, tragically died in a car accident. That isn’t to say the later stuff is less than wonderful, but Evans never again achieved quite that effortless telepathic playing again to my mind.

R3, on international jazz day, introduced me to "Everybody Digs Bill Evans".

So, is there a good record/LP (aka vinyl) version that is available at modest price? LOADS of copyright dodgers out there. Mono would be absolutely fine.
A scan of Discogs is way too tedious and confusing.

Once I get that far, I'll be back for some "where to go next" suggestions I suspect.

Are you referring to Radio 3? Which shows were celebrating International Jazz Day?

Are you referring to Radio 3? Which shows were celebrating International Jazz Day?

Yes - BBC R3.
Whatever I pick up from R3, it is almost entirely when driving as it and R4 alternate. At home, R4 is on almost contnuously.
Back to Jazz Day - I suspect that it was picked up in various shows - check the schedule for yesterday - I am pretty sure the playlists are available for quite some while after broadcast - the track that I heard, I am petty sure, was on Suzy Klein's show.
R3 does routinely play quite a bit of jazz.

The Complete Live At The Village Vanguard 1961 CD box set is absolutely essential. It is the full tapes from which his two most famous albums (Waltz For Debbie, Sunday At The Village Vanguard) were compiled. It is just jaw-droppingly brilliant telepathic playing and a wonderful recording. My copy hardly ever ends up back filed in the rack, it’s always to be found on the floor in front of one of the CD players.

+ 1 for this. One of those recordings in whatever format that gets played at east once every couple of weeks. Its as good a sound as I've heard on any CD based on a recording from that period. If I stripped by collection down to 50 recordings this would easily make the cut and the box set makes far more sense that the two separate CDs ( Live at the V V and Waltz for Debbie) that I'd had for years.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yo, I've been in the same predicament, can't justify the expense of the Bill Evans albums I want.

But on Saturday I picked up an Italian live bootleg, Autumn Leaves, for £7. Discogs says that's a correct price. Sounds nice, very enjoyable, I'm pleased to own it. Still want a good pressing of Everybody Digs.. though.

There's also a Chet Baker with Bill Evans album last thing I knew at £9 at WH Smith - Alone Together. Sounds nice granted Chet is very much to the fore, needs to be played loud to hear Bill.

advertisement

Back