advertisement

Bigger value smoothing caps in an A&R A60?

Hi.

I recapped my A60 a few moths ago, and although tempted to out bigger smoothing caps in there, from hearing reports of better bass control, I ended up just putting the same values in there after being advised against it and that the values in there would be plenty.

I’m curious again though, as to whether bigger caps might improve the performance, so I thought I’d seek some further opinion.

Any thoughts shared would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

If you did put some caps with same capacitance and physical size, there is no need to go further as the amplifier is not more than 2x 40 watts into 8 ohm so enough juice already.
The trick is to have capacitors with the lowest ESR you can find rather than higher uf for this amp.
Higher voltage will increase the lifetime but again, might not be necessary.

Yeah go as big as you like so long as the voltage rating is adequate. It's unlikely to make that much difference to specifically the bass but you should notice a general improvement all round.

well, I don't think it's that much obvious as IME a too high capacitance pair/quartet/etc. of elkos in the PSU may slow down the amp noticeably...

...a few moths ago

Bloody hell, don’t talk me about moths, I have a nest somewhere in the house, can’t find it.

But seriously, it was well-endowed enough I think.
Your only limit is the height of the case, you should be able to fit in 15,000 uF. Just go for quality.

I normally go as stupid as possible with smoothing caps, but I then also went pretty stupid replacing electrolytics with film caps elsewhere in my A60 (must still be a post in DIY or Classics somewhere) - I like the sound, YMMV :)

I normally go as stupid as possible with smoothing caps, but I then also went pretty stupid replacing electrolytics with film caps elsewhere in my A60 (must still be a post in DIY or Classics somewhere) - I like the sound, YMMV :)
I would like to hear Dowsers most expensive A60 someday - haha.

Right thanks. clearly two camps, as I thought there would be. Good to hear from folk that have actually done it particularly with this amp. what improvements did you gain from it? Also, what about inrush current? Is it necessary to change other parts to compensate, or is the A60 capable of taking bigger smoothing caps as is. And how much bigger could I go without it no longer having any benefit or causing issues with inrush etc?

Id love to hear that! Must sound great with all those film caps in there! How big did you go with the smoothing caps?

IMHO having done my fair share of caps.....not really worth going above 10000uf and 63v for the main caps given the relatively budget components elsewhere in the pcb.Mundorf seems to be my favourites but BHC and Kemet also good.

Happy listening to 40 year old amps....

Right thanks. clearly two camps, as I thought there would be. Good to hear from folk that have actually done it particularly with this amp. what improvements did you gain from it? Also, what about inrush current? Is it necessary to change other parts to compensate, or is the A60 capable of taking bigger smoothing caps as is. And how much bigger could I go without it no longer having any benefit or causing issues with inrush etc?

No. There's the people who know what they are talking about and those that don't and have read too many hi fi mags etc...

If you go too large in relation to the VA rating of the traffos do you not end up with a very hot transformers?

No. There's the people who know what they are talking about and those that don't and have read too many hi fi mags etc...

So I’m someone who has read too many Hi-Fi rags Jez? Du Arsch :)

As to how it sounds - much better than before, but still power limited. The amp needs very careful matching to speakers IMO. To be clear, I first followed Roberts fantastic Thread on here to update, I then went into it a few years later and went silly. I will never sell it, but equally haven’t used it for 6 or more years as I only run one system now and there are better options for driving ESL63s.

Jez was referring to me, I believe - but, although I'm not a qualified and that much established electronics engineer as him, I've done some things with e.g. caps in amps, hence my input above. of course, it's my experience with the brands I highlighted above, A&R may be different. oh, to add, I've never read any such stuff in mags :D

Anyone know what '/\' means?

I know that <> means does not equal. Not sure what language we are in here

Transformer and reservoir should be sensibly balanced. Increase the capacitors and you have to uprate the rectifiers and risk blowing any thermal fuse in the transformer.
You may also find out that the output transistor SOA protection depended on a poorly regulated power supply

advertisement

Back