advertisement

Big Star - Radio City

Marchbanks

Hat and Beard member
I don’t know if there has ever been a thread about this album - the search facility can’t cope with ‘big’, ‘star’ or ‘city’ so it’s tricky to find out.

I was about to post on the Christmas Wine thread that this album was the musical accompaniment to tonight’s bottle, but the ramble about it got longer and longer, so I thought I ought to snip it out and post it separately.

I came to Big Star via this album in 1974. I remember reading an ecstatic review of an import copy in the NME and shortly afterwards hearing September Gurls on Bob Harris’ Radio 1 late night show. I was instantly hooked. A couple of weeks after that I saw an import copy of the first pressing in the Virgin Records store in Brum (the original one, where you needed a torch in case you tripped over anyone sitting on the floor in the gloom) but I baulked at paying the asking price of about £7 compared to the standard UK album at £2-something. Today a decent copy fetches the thick end of £200. Another of my financial successes.

I can’t remember when I eventually got a copy, but what a revelation! Wonderful pop songs, a bit of snarly attitude, jangly guitars and drumming that had you constantly on the edge of your seat wondering if the next fill was going to be finished in time. I’ve been listening to Life Is White and Back Of A Car for half my life and I’m still never quite convinced he’s going to make it. A musicianly friend of mine was horrified that I actually enjoyed playing that was so “ramshackle.” And there’s also the occasional lyric that makes you sit bolt upright, like ‘I’m thinking “Christ, nullify my life...”’

I heard it again today when I was driving and saw it on my car HDD. Of course it sounded as fresh and wonderful as ever. It is without doubt one of my Desert Island Albums. And if I was talented enough to be in a tribute band I think it would be to Big Star. I think I’d enjoy being the drummer most of all.

Last edited:
I missed them entirely at the time (or thereabouts) and I don’t think I’ve ever heard that album. I have the fancy Classic Records reissue of ‘#1 Record’ and that’s really good in the way you suggest. I should investigate the other stuff for sure.

Demon (Big Beat) bundled it with "#1 Album" on CD. Used to get a regular play on the deck when I was at Andys.

I must get around to buying a copy.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Both #1 Record and Radio City are amongst the greatest and most influential pop records of all time. They were falling apart by Big Star 3rd (aka Sister Lovers) but it still contains a few gems. Don’t forget troubled genius Chris Bell’s I Am The Cosmos, much of it written before he departed Big Star and is a Big Star record in all but name.

I’ve got an Ardent double / gatefold with both #1 record and Radio City. Agree 100% re September Girls - sublime pop music

Radio City is a brilliant power pop album with some dreamy ballads as well. Got into them in the 90s when the music mags kept accusing Teenage Fanclub of plagiarising them. So it got me curious.

The first album is almost as enjoyable and the third album is a tortured twisted epic, a difficult listen , but compelling in its own way.

A band with a cult following and definitely worthy of your time.

I’ve got an Ardent double / gatefold with both #1 record and Radio City. Agree 100% re September Girls - sublime pop music

I have the same double album, bought 1975-ish. Also worth a listen is Alex Chilton's bonkers solo album 'Like Flies On Sherbet'.

Craft have done very nice LP reissues of Radio City & #1 record. Well worth picking up. Alex Chilton extremely under-rated imo

Demon (Big Beat) bundled it with "#1 Album" on CD. Used to get a regular play on the deck when I was at Andys.

Just realised I have this issue in a CD collection bought in a while back that I’m slowly listing in the shop, so now safely hooked out and stuck in my ‘play next’ pile…

Just realised I have this issue in a CD collection bought in a while back that I’m slowly listing in the shop, so now safely hooked out and stuck in my ‘play next’ pile…

You'll enjoy it. If you don't, I'll have it.

Actually, checking on Discogs, it looks like this double album wasn't released until 1978, which is weird, because I would have sworn I bought it when I was living in Exeter, but by 1978 I was in That London. Plus, it was on the Stax label, rather than Ardent. Worth £100 if mint, which mine isn't.

PS I see mine is a 'misprint' version, thus 'worth' £300!

Actually, checking on Discogs, it looks like this double album wasn't released until 1978, which is weird, because I would have sworn I bought it when I was living in Exeter, but by 1978 I was in That London. Plus, it was on the Stax label, rather than Ardent. Worth £100 if mint, which mine isn't.

I've just done the same and found the same - Mine's also on Stax/EMI and no where near mint.

I've also got the Third album on Aura which looks to be worth £50 or so. Always found it a rather indulgent and depressing record .... but it gets 5***** on All Music which describes it as a "classic album" and one of "rock's greatest monuments to existential angst" so maybe I should have a further listen.

I've also got the Third album on Aura which looks to be worth £50 or so. Always found it a rather indulgent and depressing record .... but it gets 5***** on All Music which describes it as a "classic album" and one of "rock's greatest monuments to existential angst" so maybe I should have a further listen.
I agree with you about Third. I sometimes think about playing it, then shy away. Songs like ‘Stroke It, Noel’ and ‘Jesus Christ’ sound like upbeat Big Star, but others like ‘Kangaroo’ and ‘Holocaust’ seem to find Alex in a rather dark place and I feel a little voyeuristic listening to them.

I definitely feel Radio City is the peak - I much prefer the rough around the edges feel to the more polished (IMO) #1 Record.

Reactions: kjb
I played Radio City earlier, likewise I suspect it might just have the edge on the debut. I wish I’d bought the Classic Records vinyl of it back when I got their #1 Record.

I love the first three Big Star records. Sister Lovers (aka Third) is my favourite, it's utterly compelling, but the first two are much more joyful. Life is White and Daisy Glaze are perfect guitar pop. The only good Teenage Fanclub album (13) owes so much to Big Star. I also love Chris Bell's awesome posthumous LP, I Am the Cosmos.

This is from Third:

Take care not to hurt yourself
Beware of the need for help
You might need too much
And people are such
Take care, please, take care
Some people read idea books
And some people have pretty looks
But if your eyes are wide
And all words aside
Take care, please, take care
This sounds a bit like goodbye