advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

Just had very tearful friend on the phone , the evil scumbags buying her house have dropped the price by 13k ! They purposefully offered the highest price to get it and now she has found and nearly completed on a property they think they can try it on. Total and utter b........

Going back on sale today
Had it done to me on eve of exchange once.
Told them to do one.

Just had very tearful friend on the phone , the evil scumbags buying her house have dropped the price by 13k ! They purposefully offered the highest price to get it and now she has found and nearly completed on a property they think they can try it on. Total and utter b........

Going back on sale today
Awful. I feel for your friend. I hope she won’t entertain them a moment longer. They shouldn’t get a second chance after a stunt like that. You’ll not feel able to trust them and who knows what other stunts they could pull. Sell it to somebody who isn’t an arse.

Going back on sale today

Are they sure it’s nothing to do with banks having a different view of the valuation than the highest bidder? It’s easy for people to get carried away.

yes the banks are undervaluing properties but it was only modestly priced in the first place and they tried to knock it down by 10% with no good reason !! very unpleasant practice . it will be snapped up in hours when it goes back on market

Hope it works out for her, not a pleasant situation.
The reality is, when you have people outbidding each other with borrowed money, the only opinion of value which matters is the lenders. As Mervyn King said, house prices are a matter of opinion whereas debt is real.

Re the new house, The 2 front bow ( Yes bow not bay ) windows are feeling their age so I enlisted Anglian windows to do a quote
Apparently this can all be done on a video call without even seeing the windows ?????
A price was given for a all in top to bottom job.
Payment made of the £2100 deposit.
Round comes the surveyer to measure up and just as he was about to go ask's " Any questions ? "
I say " I noticed you were measuring from under the wooden roof " Yes, We don't replace the roof section only the windows, I then say when I spoke with the on line sales man I asked about the wooden roof and the wooden window cills and was told , Yes that all get changed and you get new lead on the roof as well.
He then phones the sales person and askes Is this what you said ? Yes says the salesman correct a all in price
I will cut the long story short here , They then tell me to do the roof sections will be a extra £2900.00 and that is the discounted price,
I then say sorry no I am not paying that much extra and can you please refund my deposit, The deopt manager then tries to imply it was my fault and I should have noticed on the paperwork ! What paperwork , It was done on line and your sales man has admitted he was wrong.
Needless to say I am 2 days later waiting for my refund , Strange the deposit payment can be taken in 1 minute but a refund can take more than 2 days ( So far ) :confused:

I would seriously recommend that you do not use any of the national companies. I am absolutely sure that doing so will cost you 2-3 times more than you need for the same quality. Ask around for the name of 2-3 local contractors that have a good reputation. Get them around for a quote. Never sign up thre and then; always take a few days to consider. Certainly never accept a quotation from any company that doesn't visit.

I had good service from the True Window & Glass Company Lincoln, for what it's worth.

I would seriously recommend that you do not use any of the national companies. I am absolutely sure that doing so will cost you 2-3 times more than you need for the same quality. Ask around for the name of 2-3 local contractors that have a good reputation. Get them around for a quote. Never sign up thre and then; always take a few days to consider. Certainly never accept a quotation from any company that doesn't visit.

I had good service from the True Window & Glass Company Lincoln, for what it's worth.

OK thanks

I agree with Simon G. Don't know the window company he mentions but get recommended local companies to visit and ask them how they are going to replace any support that a wood frame gave the bow windows. Sometimes UPVC frames give less support than the timber they are replacing and that can give movement later if not properly done.

Re the new house, The 2 front bow ( Yes bow not bay ) windows are feeling their age so I enlisted Anglian windows to do a quote
Apparently this can all be done on a video call without even seeing the windows ?????
A price was given for a all in top to bottom job.
Payment made of the £2100 deposit.
Round comes the surveyer to measure up and just as he was about to go ask's " Any questions ? "
I say " I noticed you were measuring from under the wooden roof " Yes, We don't replace the roof section only the windows, I then say when I spoke with the on line sales man I asked about the wooden roof and the wooden window cills and was told , Yes that all get changed and you get new lead on the roof as well.
He then phones the sales person and askes Is this what you said ? Yes says the salesman correct a all in price
I will cut the long story short here , They then tell me to do the roof sections will be a extra £2900.00 and that is the discounted price,
I then say sorry no I am not paying that much extra and can you please refund my deposit, The deopt manager then tries to imply it was my fault and I should have noticed on the paperwork ! What paperwork , It was done on line and your sales man has admitted he was wrong.
Needless to say I am 2 days later waiting for my refund , Strange the deposit payment can be taken in 1 minute but a refund can take more than 2 days ( So far ) :confused:

thats outrageous . how the heck can they do a video quote , what utter balony . they need to see it in person . as simon says get a decent local company in . talking to a friend recently

3 quotes from window companies

2 national companies at about 20 k , 14k and then a single chap ex fitter quoted 4k for same job plus extras

I was told the differenc between a bay window and a bow window is that you can walk into a bay windows but not into a bow window, Also a bay has brickwork holding it up , I my case the window cill is held up by a big 6" wide support leg bolted onto the wall under the window .

I was told the differenc between a bay window and a bow window is that you can walk into a bay windows but not into a bow window, Also a bay has brickwork holding it up , I my case the window cill is held up by a big 6" wide support leg bolted onto the wall under the window .
Either way, some windows are structural elements and need to be replaced by something that will still hold the wall up.

I would seriously recommend that you do not use any of the national companies.

^^^^^^ this

my neighbour had the company the OP mentions. Not only was it expensive, but they also gave poor support. Good luck getting the deposit back.

I walked around a few neighbours, asked for recommendations. Got the name of a localish company who were cheaper and brilliant. None of this haggling and discounts. Company still exists and my windows/doors look and operate like new after 10 years.

Hope it works out for her, not a pleasant situation.
The reality is, when you have people outbidding each other with borrowed money, the only opinion of value which matters is the lenders. As Mervyn King said, house prices are a matter of opinion whereas debt is real.
it sold the next day so back to square one but hope it's quick as she rings me several times a day for advice !!!

I had one company I have used for many years . Local and good reputation but had a whole house done 2 years ago . I noticed the handles were loose a week later and various niggles .all were sorted out but I am guessing that at some Point they changed their factory that supplies them

I decided to give another local company a shot and they have been pretty good so far . One of the charity houses I renovated had double glazing done cheaply and they went out of business a few years later . No fensa cert was issued which is pain when you sell up .

Is it just me or is this normal service now ?
1st the window issue
And now the next one
The cooker that was left in the house is in appalling condition, No way am I putting anything in it , I needed a new cooker , Go onto AO web site , Have a look at the range of gas cookers , No electric cooker panel in the kitchen,
Look through the range starting at £200 and going uo to £900 , I selected a mid priced unit , On the AO web site have a read and notice or technicians are all gas safe trained , We can remove and take away your old cooker Extra £20, Also I can select the delivery day at a extra £5 , OK click buy now and of we go with the order and confermation email
Yesterday the cooker turned up and is taken into the kitchen the both driver and assistant ask Is the old unit disconected and ready to go ? I say no not yet as you are doning this , NO we are not , Err hold on , On your web site it says all or technicians are gas safe trained , They say yes but we are not as the order was for delivery and removal only of the old cooker , I am then told OK thanks we are going now !!! , I say hold on I have not had the service I booked , I am then told AO will phone you to sort this out , And they left .
OA phone and say you did not book the fitting service , Err hold on why does it say your people are all gas safe trained ? The fitters are but the drivers are not , I say what happens now ? can you sent someone back and sort this out , Yes we can its a extra £95 + vat , Blimey , OK if that's what is needed when can he come ? , Not for the forsealble future sorry , But dont worry we can refund the £5 delivery date payment and the £20 old unit removal fee , Thanks and ends the phone call.
I now have the old cooker in place that needs condemning on health grounds and a new cooke all packed up that I can't use , Happy days , Anyone know a gas fitter near or in Boston Lincs ?
I also found out the other day that as I own a camper van as my only vehicle I am excluded from the Boston re cycling centre as it is over 6 foot 6" high , I am about to give up :(

That's a bit frustrating I'm sure.
I think most recycling centres do not allow vans even if privately owned , a car and a trailer seems to be OK though, if you go in a van you have to pay a fee IME. However I think you maybe able to ring your local council and have the old cooker lifted for a small fee or alternatively put it on freecycle, someone will want it.

As you are on gas, I presume you have gas central heating. You'll need to get your boiler serviced each year, so you need to find a suitable gas engineer local to you. This is the right person to do your cooker installation, not the supplier. You'll have a long term relationship with them, and getting off to a good start by putting some additional gas related work their way will be appreciated. Might be worth asking your neighbours who they use for electrics/gas in your area. A good chance to say hello too!

advertisement

Back