advertisement

Big Holiday - What To Take?

Suffolk Tony

Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.
In a couple of weeks, we're flying off to New Zealand to spend three weeks with an old friend & his wife, who live south of Auckland. They've organised lots of trips for us, including a week in the south island, flights over the mountains, whale watching etc.

My problem is deciding what camera to take. I'll have my iPhone, which I guess will count for something, but for most of the photographic stuff I've got a choice of three. Best is my Leica Q2. It's weatherproof, takes superb photos, but it's a bit of a lump to cart around and it's not something I'm keen to risk (although I think it's insured under our travel policy). Its fixed lens isn't ideal either, although you can crop the image without too much loss.

Next choice is a Canon Powershot G5X Mk II. Also takes excellent piccys, has a decent zoom, it's reasonably compact, but it isn't weatherproof and we expect some wet weather where we're going, plus it doesn't look as robust as my other possible candidates.

Final choice is my little Olympus "Tough" TG4. Very neat, weatherproof and shockproof. Decent photos from it but obviously not up to the quality of the other two.

I keep changing my mind on which one to take, The sensible choice and my immediate inclination is to take the Olympus, but then again I'm thinking I want the best possible results from what will probably be my last such adventure.

What does the panel think?

If it was me, I'd make sure the Q2 is insured and take the Q2 and one of your other cameras, then you can make the choiuce when you're out there as to which camera to take out.

In a couple of weeks, we're flying off to New Zealand to spend three weeks with an old friend & his wife, who live south of Auckland. They've organised lots of trips for us, including a week in the south island, flights over the mountains, whale watching etc.

My problem is deciding what camera to take. I'll have my iPhone, which I guess will count for something, but for most of the photographic stuff I've got a choice of three. Best is my Leica Q2. It's weatherproof, takes superb photos, but it's a bit of a lump to cart around and it's not something I'm keen to risk (although I think it's insured under our travel policy). Its fixed lens isn't ideal either, although you can crop the image without too much loss.

Next choice is a Canon Powershot G5X Mk II. Also takes excellent piccys, has a decent zoom, it's reasonably compact, but it isn't weatherproof and we expect some wet weather where we're going, plus it doesn't look as robust as my other possible candidates.

Final choice is my little Olympus "Tough" TG4. Very neat, weatherproof and shockproof. Decent photos from it but obviously not up to the quality of the other two.

I keep changing my mind on which one to take, The sensible choice and my immediate inclination is to take the Olympus, but then again I'm thinking I want the best possible results from what will probably be my last such adventure.

What does the panel think?
After drunken discussions on Sat night, starting to look at the same trip but my camera gear will be slightly heavier:)

I'd say that there's no point going on an amazing trip and not taking your best camera for fear of losing it. I'd take some way of backing up your photos regularly, make sure it's insured and go and have a great time!

I'd take only the Leica. Can't be that much of a handful and you can spend more time enjoying what you see and do and less worrying about what bits of equipment you have or don't have at any given moment. Maybe also one of those tiny tripods? For taking group photos.

The Canon is a ‘travel cam’. I own one and it takes great pics if you are never going to enlarge above A4. However it eats batteries, and is only showerproof. The Leica is limited by the lens. The Oly limited by its small sensor if you are wanting quality. If you’re serious about image quality on this trip, you need to hire , borrow or buy something else! If the Leica’s 700 odd g’s is too much however you are down only a micro 4/3rds sensor, and as you are familiar with the Olympus system, it must be the OM 5 or 10. Excellent image quality and really good quality glass in small, light packages.
Mr helpful signs off:)

Left field suggestion: Q2 and a small pair of binoculars. Enjoy the outdoorsy stuff in the moment and don’t worry about capturing it, unless you’re a keen wildlife photographer. Use the Q2 for up close photos of you and friends, street photos etc - photos you won’t find easily on Flickr.

You are going a long way, for a decent period of time.
Take a compact and something that you would miss if you didn’t take it. New Zealand will be spectacular. What will capture that best for you?

Last holiday I used an old Canon Ixus 130 for snapping and a Panasonic Lumix F272 with its wide angle lens and 60x optical zoom for more composed shooting.
Both of those cameras covered the different aspects of our holiday nicely.

Thanks for all the advice folks, it's much appreciated.

I'm now pretty certain I'll be taking the Leica, but checking the holiday insurance, it won't be covered at that value. SWMBO, who arranged the insurance, will see if she can add the Leica to the policy, but meanwhile, have any of you people got recommendations for camera cover for the one trip?

Thanks for all the advice folks, it's much appreciated.

I'm now pretty certain I'll be taking the Leica, but checking the holiday insurance, it won't be covered at that value. SWMBO, who arranged the insurance, will see if she can add the Leica to the policy, but meanwhile, have any of you people got recommendations for camera cover for the one trip?
My house cover with Hiscox covers me for about £20K of camera equipment. I double checked with them each time before going on hols.

Take whatever you're prepared to carry all day. Personally, out of your collection, just take the Q2 and your phone. You can take that with you everywhere. The best camera in the world with the best is no good in your hotel room, if it's too heavy or big to carry all day.
My travel combo is my phone and my Leica M10 with an old 1981 35 Summilux, which is tiny. I can put the Leica into my jacket pocket and I don't even need to carry a bag.

Take whatever you're prepared to carry all day. Personally, out of your collection, just take the Q2 and your phone. You can take that with you everywhere. The best camera in the world with the best is no good in your hotel room, if it's too heavy or big to carry all day.
My travel combo is my phone and my Leica M10 with an old 1981 35 Summilux, which is tiny. I can put the Leica into my jacket pocket and I don't even need to carry a bag.

this is the wisest advice.

…and advice I've taken, along with same from everyone who've told me to take the Q2. Halfway there now.

advertisement

Back