advertisement

Big band jazz... recommendations please

Didn't this band do the recent 'Incredibles' film? Loved this track, btw. CD ordered!

According to Wikipedia, Michael Giacchino was responsible for writing the music and Gordon Goodwin did some of the arrangements. The disc was recommended to me by a muso friend of my parents.

Last edited:
Benny Goodman - The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert. Recorded direct to acetate on January 16, 1938 this album sounds as fresh and vital as any in the entire jazz canon in my opinion. An absolute must own if you enjoy music.

Mike Westbrook Concert band - Marching Song from about 1970

I bought the LPs then and have never tired of the music, with serious war themes. Magic.

Whilst I don't disagree with the suggestions, my guess is that most of the above is a little "out" based on the OP.
Should be safe enough with Count Basie and Duke Ellington suggestions, also try Woody Herman? A few of the Jools Holland Big Band records might hit the spot.

If feeling a bit more adventurous, then the Miles Davis/Gil Evans collaborations - Miles Ahead, Porgy & Bess, and Sketches of Spain maybe? No vocals (although Miles' trumpet is certainly singing) but definitely swinging

To tie up with Sinatra at The Sands, there is Count Basie at the Sands, which is because he was there all week of Sinatra's residency, and the recorded all of the music. I also like Stan Kenton.
There are loads of box sets of the old big bands, and charity shops can be a happy hunting ground. There can be loads of details in those old recordings.
Happy hunting.

Great suggestion to look for old records. Record fairs can be good as well - most dealers struggle to give away early jazz and swing!

To tie up with Sinatra at The Sands, there is Count Basie at the Sands, which is because he was there all week of Sinatra's residency, and the recorded all of the music. I also like Stan Kenton.
There are loads of box sets of the old big bands, and charity shops can be a happy hunting ground. There can be loads of details in those old recordings.
Happy hunting.

Sinatra at the Sands is, IMHO, the greatest live album ever. Period.

Jazz in Silhouette by Sun Ra and the Arkestra.

Like Captain Beefheart and Clear Spot, Sun Ra was an extraordinary out-there musician whose finest album might just be one of his most conventional.

Last edited:
Right. 1st impressions from 2 cds thru the door yesterday.

Oliver Nelson Blues and the Abstract Truth. Instantly accessible, with good tunes and swing.

Mingus The Black Saint. Not an instant hit. Think I’ll need to be in the mood to listen to this before doing so. Quite dischordant.

Awaiting a couple more deliveries this week.

I've just had a listen, via phones, to (Stan) Kenton, Live in Europe, a Decca Phase 4 recording, recorded live in Holland in 1976, and it sounds very dynamic, so must try it soon through my speakers. Highly recommended.

For big band Artie Shaw stands above all others of that era IMO. Not a very nice man by accounts but what a clarinetist and band leader.

Shorty Rogers. A great lineup of West Coast talent. If you like ballads: Shorty Rogers plays Richard Rodgers.

Big band with vocals: No Count Sarah : Count Basie Orchestra with Sarah Vaughan

advertisement

Back