• Rio

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • New Gold Dream (81,82,83,84)

Votes: 24 92.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I think there are lots of great albums that, for a variety of reasons, stand toe-to-toe against another great album in particular; whether that's because they were released around the same time or hail from the same genre or movement, or whatever.

First up, in what I hope will be a mini-series of bake-offs, are two fantastic albums from 1982 and like all the bake-offs I have in mind, I think it's tough to say which one's the better album: Rio by Duran Duran or New Gold Dream (81,82,83,83) by Simple Minds. Cast your vote now so we can finally put this one to bed.

Votes close after 24 hours. Next up, is The Original Soundtrack Vs Crime of the Century

New Gold Dream is a decent album, Simple Minds last good one IMO. Amazing bass playing, just so solid.

Both very good albums, especially from a bass playing perspective. I think NGD stands the test of time a little better. The recent Abbey Road version is superb.

I play Rio pretty much every week, NGD maybe a couple times a year. The 2014 Rio 180g vinyl reissue is very good. Not sure what I would think if I was a seventeen year old now, but I thought it was brilliant in 82 when released and I still do.

Edit> appears I am in a minority :)

the last thing I purchased by Simple Minds was the 12" version of I Travel, which I still have.

Duran Duran were always too soft at the time.

I was more Futurist than New Romantic. Never Spandau Ballet, only John Foxx Ultravox, never Midge Ure...

A girlfriend had Rio and I did hear it at the time. Nope. Then Simple Minds went all popular / stadium rock, Double nope.

There was another really early Simple Minds single I used to dance to...? Changeling. A harder sound than Duran Duran

I think there are lots of great albums that, for a variety of reasons, stand toe-to-toe against another great album in particular; whether that's because they were released around the same time or hail from the same genre or movement, or whatever.

First up, in what I hope will be a mini-series of bake-offs, are two fantastic albums from 1982 and like all the bake-offs I have in mind, I think it's tough to say which one's the better album: Rio by Duran Duran or New Gold Dream (81,82,83,83) by Simple Minds. Cast your vote now so we can finally put this one to bed.

Votes close after 24 hours. Next up, is The Original Soundtrack Vs Crime of the Century

Is this a joke? Simple Minds by a Country Mile- not even heard the Rio LP.:D

Happy Easter everyone.:)

Then Simple Minds went all popular / stadium rock, Double nope.

New Gold Dream is right on that transition, but for me is still a great album. I have no interest whatsoever in what came later. I remember playing Real to Real Cacophony to a ‘late period’ Simple Minds fan at one stage and asking them to guess the band. They failed.

I quite liked 'alive & kicking', I still have an original vinyl copy. I also have a CD box set of their classic albums prior to them 'going big'.

Simple Minds. New Gold Drwam is in the collection. I haven’t listened to it in years. Will dust it down.

Duran Duran. I’ll have to YouTube them, not heard any of their stuff for decades...and that would have been on the radio, difficult to avoid at the time. Have they aged well, or not?

Loved both these releases, and wouldn’t choose between them.

Re the naysayers regarding Ultravox, we went to see them support Simple Minds a few years ago.

My wife, who isn’t a particular fan of either, and after both had played, said Ultravox knocked it out of the park compared to Simple Minds. Better musicians and better singer, she said... ihho

Never really liked Simple minds and DD were part of the evil hoard of hair gel, highlites and white socks which should have resulted in public execution! Denim and leather plus Doc Martens, preferably with long hair, a whiff of patchouli and a hint of Castrol GTX was right then and right now:p:eek:

advertisement

Back