advertisement

bicycle portraits

+1 - fully agree. It conveys the scene and motion far more effectively than a conventional pan would do.

1- to say "conventional" about a pan is to totally misrepresent the rarity and skill involved.
2- if we had a skinny person in white suit on silver bike racing by, this could possibly be very different -- instead, it's a fairly unattractive large blob with a lot of dark area.

1- to say "conventional" about a pan is to totally misrepresent the rarity and skill involved.
2- if we had a skinny person in white suit on silver bike racing by, this could possibly be very different -- instead, it's a fairly unattractive large blob with a lot of dark area.
1. Panning is easy, and is a conventional technique used daily around the world in sports photography. I don't recognise it as a rarity or particularly skilful, though I do enjoy executing pan shots. I'd yank your chain that it's something that only comes naturally and you get it or you don't, and that I'd been blessed; that's not my style. Rather, simply there's a mathematical formula that underpins panning, and a few simple guides that make up the technique. A little practice, and you should be able to nail it. It was very well defined in a book from the 70's/80's - Understanding 35mm photography by Carl Shipman, from memory. Relates focal length, distance to subject, speed of subject, and shutter speed. the rest is down to exposure, plane of motion (and how you match it), and whether or not your subject remains at a consistent distance to you throughout the arc of travel.
2. To you a large blob, to me it's mystery and intrigue amidst the movement! :D I like the messy distraction against a well ordered image (of the disarray of cycle parking).

Rather than subvert the bicycle portrait thread, if you're interested in discussing panning and how to master the technique, we could start a discussion in a new thread. Let me know, happy to share. :)

rico.

just checking in before bedtime, so i'll reply tomorrow. for now, here is my version of an erratic "bike" pic (shot today):

image.php

Thanks Martin. My first photo post, having been a long-time lurker on PFM. Took a bit of courage as there are some great shots put up here, and I know even less about photography than I do HiFi!
Welcome Peter. I really like that photo too - please keep posting! I'm also a relative newcomer but always get inspired and motivated by the photos here.

[edit: photo unavailable]

Last edited:
I will do Ian. I like the look of that Cougar you have hanging up there - it looks like it was from the era when Terry Dolan hand-made them all. Lots of good pedigree in those frames.

not a very good picture, but just wanted to document the "mid-life crisis bike" (and outfit) -- we have quite a bit of this here:

image.php

Yes, 'relatively' close - good spot! It's off the back at Hinterstoder.
Was there last summer, spent a few days there and then spent a few days at Saalbach-Hinterglemm with a good friend doing slightly sillier stuff! A little closer to home for you?!

advertisement

Back