advertisement

Bi wire options

First of all it's not an opinion. It's electrical fact. Then second yes you are quite right I do say that all those things you mention are nonsense... because they are.

It's quite bizarre the way some people appear to have an attitude of "so long as I know nothing whatsoever about electricity and electronics and therefore have no idea what's even possible or impossible then anything goes and the laws of physics don't apply to me"

Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.

Plato

I'm glad to see we agree:p When it comes to such basics though ignorance of even Ohm's Law is a biggy:D

“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly and discuss Ohms law on an internet forum, daily.”

― F. Scott Fitzgerald + The Chronicals

It's quite bizarre the way some people appear to have an attitude of "so long as I know nothing whatsoever about electricity and electronics and therefore have no idea what's even possible or impossible then anything goes and the laws of physics don't apply to me"

I'm not saying the laws of physics don't apply. What I am saying is that you don't know all there is to know about them. You just seem to think you do.

If you can understand French, this is a must-watch. Subs are available in English.

If you can understand French, this is a must-watch. Subs are available in English.

It's not really a myth... there is theory behind it (which no doubt the usual suspects above have no inkling about). It's more a case of whether or not it makes a big enough difference to be worthwhile, or indeed any audible difference.

It's got little chance of working as hoped unless the amp has very low output impedance for a start and then will be very much effected by things such as speaker cable resistance, the speakers drive units and the crossover design.

My post #19 contains a gem of a tip which I spent half an hour deciding whether or not to share... ;) As with anything in engineering there are down sides as well as advantages but it extends the concept of bi-wiring a bit and makes it far more likely to electrically "do what's on the tin". Relatively thin speaker cable could of course provide the 0.1R of resistance but using actual resistors gives more control over tolerances and allows for some experimenting...

There is zero possibility of either jumpers or the way the speaker cables are plugged into the speakers making any difference so long as all connections are clean and sound.
Certainly my experience with the two sets of bi-wireable speakers (Harbeths and Kefs) I have owned. No matter how I connected them they sounded the same, and having spent good money on dedicated bi-wire cables and jumpers &c, my expectations were fully biased in favour of hearing a difference. There was none. I was deeply disappointed but soon got over it.

Certainly my experience with the two sets of bi-wireable speakers (Harbeths and Kefs) I have owned. No matter how I connected them they sounded the same, and having spent good money on dedicated bi-wire cables and jumpers &c, my expectations were fully biased in favour of hearing a difference. There was none. I was deeply disappointed but soon got over it.

Indeed with the very short, thick wires used as jumpers, or even sometime metal bars between terminals, the resistance is very, very low indeed and therefore there is no voltage drop and no difference to the sound. The same obviously applies to which terminals the speaker cables are connected to when jumpers are in place.
If there are loose or dirty connections causing resistance then this could have an effect but we must assume correct use and application of the jumpers etc.

If the audiophools think the resistance of a 2" copper bar can effect the sound then it must be ruined by the PCB tracks of the crossover!:D

Honestly, Jez, there are zero circumstances where you will change their mind, you're best just leaving them to it and letting them get on with it.

While people can hear, there is no reason too, other than to purposefully choose not to hear, and that would be sad.

Honestly, Jez, there are zero circumstances where you will change their mind, you're best just leaving them to it and letting them get on with it.

Oh I'm well aware there are people on here who would say day was night if they thought it would assist their trolling but the actual facts of the matter may be interesting to many other people and help them side step mumbo jumbo and "fake news" when they see it.

Oh I'm well aware there are people on here who would say day was night if they thought it would assist their trolling but the actual facts of the matter may be interesting to many other people and help them side step mumbo jumbo and "fake news" when they see it.

I don't think so, but fair enough.

It's no different to trying to convince a god botherer that there's no such thing as sky ghosts, mission impossible.

I write in two other hi-fi French fora where we don’t believe in this cable nonsense.
Here, opinions are divided. Perhaps a good thing.

I don't think so, but fair enough.

It's no different to trying to convince a god botherer that there's no such thing as sky ghosts, mission impossible.

Well indeed yes hence my comment that it "may be interesting to many other people", ie ones that come along and read this sort of thread with an open mind.... there's enough fake news around without neophytes being told that Ohm's Law doesn't apply to hi fi!

The OP said he plugged his cable into alternate posts and heard a difference. I've done exactly the same thing on multiple pairs of speakers. It's not difficult for other people with bi-wireable speakers to try it for themselves and make up their own minds. Personally, I think that's what they should do.

I'll be interested to see if anyone tries my idea in post #19... It takes bi-wiring a little nearer bi-amping in some ways by providing greater isolation between the back EMF's from the drive units and thereby reducing intermodulation between them;)

I've not tried it myself and I make no claims whatsoever as to it's subjective effect (it will vary a lot depending on the equipment in use) but if we were to say that bi-wiring may have beneficial effects then this should enhance it further...

Those, like myself, who did try it many years ago (nearly 30 years ago for me, first time) and heard no improvement whatsoever just have nothing else to bring than a no-nonsense approach to cabling.
Peter Walker was so right.

I have such resistors and three pairs of biwireable speakers. I’ll give it a go then.

advertisement

Back