advertisement

Beyerdynamic DT880

Seanm

pfm Member
I got some and I'm enjoying 'em. Just thought I'd share.

I've had AKG K701s for years and like them, but they do have their issues. I tried the Sennheisers HD600 and they were more cohesive and punchy but veiled-sounding compared to the AKG and I didn't keep them. The DT880s are apparently the last of the "big 3": flagships on first release, now much cheaper. They don't have quite the out-of-head quality of the AKG but they're still very open, and have a richer and more cohesive sound. Never enjoyed listening through 'phones so much, no fatigue. Sound good through headphone amp or phone.

I have the 600 ohm DT880, which is apparently the 'holy grail' version if you have an amp up to the job of driving them. Superb sound quality for the money (£150), very neutral and uncoloured bass and mids. Just a couple of negatives which still make me favour my HD600s: 1) the DT880 has a response peak around 8kHz-10kHz that makes it sound etched/steely particularly at higher volumes, 2) I prefer the fit, comfort and build quality of the HD600. If they made a DT880 in the same design as the HD600 and without the treble peak then I think they'd have a genuine giant killer!

Last edited:
You say they sound good through your phone...are you using the 32 ohm version?
No, 250: I read a review that claimed the 32 ohm model actually sounded worse on phones than the 250, because of impedance mismatch. It does mean the volume doesn't go very high, but that's not a problem for me.
I have the 600 ohm DT880, which is apparently the 'holy grail' version if you have an amp up to the job of driving them. Superb sound quality for the money (£150), very neutral and uncoloured bass and mids. Just a couple of negatives which still make me favour my HD600s: 1) the DT880 have a response peak around 8kHz-10kHz which make them sound etched/steely particularly at higher volumes, 2) I prefer the fit, comfort and build quality of the HD600. If they made a DT880 in the same design as the HD600 and without the treble peak then I think they'd have a genuine giant killer!
Yes, would prefer the oval ear cups of the 600s.

I use the 250ohm DT990 on my iMac for listening to films (and youtube) - good sound and more comfortable than what I have tried so far.
No desire to change them.

I got some and I'm enjoying 'em. Just thought I'd share.

I've had AKG K701s for years and like them, but they do have their issues. I tried the Sennheisers HD600 and they were more cohesive and punchy but veiled-sounding compared to the AKG and I didn't keep them. The DT880s are apparently the last of the "big 3": flagships on first release, now much cheaper. They don't have quite the out-of-head quality of the AKG but they're still very open, and have a richer and more cohesive sound. Never enjoyed listening through 'phones so much, no fatigue. Sound good through headphone amp or phone.

I agree that the HD600 can at times sound slightly veiled, I've owned the dt880 600ohm as well. A nice headphone especially out of a tube amp, a little bass light though.

A nice upgrade from that is the DT1990, not too bright and a nice amount of bass.

advertisement

Back