advertisement

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros

Del monaco

Del Monaco
I’m not really a big headphone user and have been using a pair of budget ATs recently. I decided that I would like to use headphobpnes more so I upgraded these and bought a new pair of the above for a very good price. I’ve tried them directly into my Yamaha initially and I’m impressed with the differences so far. Much more solid and wider soundstage. Good detail and only a little over emphasis in the upper mids I think. Otherwise evenly balanced, comfortable and non-fatiguing sound, crucial for when I’m working. I’m yet to try them with my Rega Ear though I think they will improve in this set up as they are 250 Ohms and from what I’ve read, the Rega Ear will drive these well. Will report back with more detail once I’ve heard this.

I’ve now tried the Beyerdynamics with my Rega Ear. A noticeable step up in quality as the headphone amp drives them well. This is my first real step up in headphones and I’m quite pleased. Nice soundstage. Good levels of detail. The sound is relaxed rather than up front meaning kids are a little recessed but I prefer this. There is definitely am emphasis on upper bass which does obscure the kids a little but these aren’t mega expensive so this is a compromise I can live with. They are very comfortable and I enjoyed listening to them whilst I worked last night. I think a good start to my headphone journey. I do prefer them to a the Grado 80s I used to own a while ago.The Rega Ear is nice as well.

I'm a big fan of the 990, one of my favourite headphones.
I've also got some quite fancy planar magnetics which cost a fair bit more, and I've owned some very nice Stax electrostatics, and I've had dozens of other headphones (I currently own 14 pairs) ..... but if I had to settle on just using the Beyerdynamic DT 990 I'd be just fine with that!

It is worth experimenting with headphone amps for them, imo. Tastes will differ, but I find an amp that gives a warmer, more luxuriant sound works well.
I've not heard one, but I'd imagine a Rega Ear would work well.
I like my ProJect Head Box amp and FiiO A3 portable amp with them.

I'm a big fan of the 990, one of my favourite headphones.
I've also got some quite fancy planar magnetics which cost a fair bit more, and I've owned some very nice Stax electrostatics, and I've had dozens of other headphones (I currently own 14 pairs) ..... but if I had to settle on just using the Beyerdynamic DT 990 I'd be just fine with that!

It is worth experimenting with headphone amps for them, imo. Tastes will differ, but I find an amp that gives a warmer, more luxuriant sound works well.
I've not heard one, but I'd imagine a Rega Ear would work well.
I like my ProJect Head Box amp and FiiO A3 portable amp with them.
They are a lovely starting point for me and may help me to investigate headphone listening further. I can hear the compromises but they are so listenable it doesn’t really matter. I never thought that I would do a headphone review on PFM!

Superb value for money too. It’s great to see a fundamentally good product on the market that has stood the test of time and not had a make over and eye watering price hike from the marketing dept. For me they are of comparable sound quality to HD600s

advertisement

Back