Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] Beware - parcel2go

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Philv, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Isobarik

Isobarik pfm Member

Hermes! I bought a guitar amp off eBay sent by Hermes....what a fiasco!

I received four emails stating that the parcel had been delivered and signed for?
    Two emails stating that they had been, but no one one was available to sign for the item....Lies!

I contacted the seller and they took charge,they gave them the runaround too!

The only option I had was to open up a dispute with the seller as the goods had not arrived.

Low and behold a knock at the door on a Sunday evening about 16 days after the item had been posted and there was my amp!

I questioned the driver regarding the late delivery and she just shrugged her shoulders and buggered off.

So from that point on I always ask the seller what courier service they are going to use, if Hermes I back off.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Last two things I sent out went by Royal Mail, it's still a decent service for smaller items especially and yes I agree it's good to support the PO. Sadly some valves someone on here sent me a few weeks back via Royal Mail never arrived (not sure if there's any hope of a successful claim), so the PO is just as much of a gamble as all the other options are.

3. Magic

Magic Hifi Whore Dah?

I always make sure that packaging for anything other than cables is bombproof & that goes double for speakers. You must assume that it will be dropped from shoulder height at least once in transit.

Insurance is generally a waste as they never take responsibility for damage. Problems I've had are from poor packing by sellers.

Most supermarkets have plenty of strong boxes & bubble wrap for free in the fresh fruit section.

I generally select a courier based on their ability to consistently deliver, ideally next day.

Royal Mail Small Parcel 2nd Signed is good up to 2kgs for £4 & very reliable.

Collect+ Standard is generally next day up to 6kgs (if you drop off early) for under £7.

Heavier, more valuable kit I trust to UPS. Generally reliable, although I've had damaged valves which were poorly packed (no wrapping & pretty much loose).

I've had countless issues with Parcelfarce, Yokels & Harmers so I tend to avoid.

4. Vince Parkin

Vince Parkin pfm Member

Never, ever even contemplate using Yodel. An absolute abortion of a company, unreliable is putting it politely.

Rcook likes this.
  5. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Royal Mail is indeed great for smaller items. Between my small merch business and discogs I've had nothing undelivered to UK addresses from several hundred items over the last 2-3 years. Where things have gone missing internationally the compensation (up to £20 standard, £50 signed for) has arrived without quibble.

Rates are punitive above 2kg however, which may be an indication of the state of the parcel business generally.

6. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Owned by the Barclay family, so just another manifestion of their ongoing massive **** you to the British public.

7. Eatapeach

Eatapeach Active Member

well you must have the magic touch then as Holly just gives me the info I already know from the tracking page and typing "chat to customer adviser" just results in asking me if I want to start again. And I tested it before my last post!

8. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Via the app or via the web browser? I only use the web browser to contact them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us/ref=hp_gt_comp_cu?nodeId=471044

Let the bot load and do it's stuff, then type in 'chat to customer services' and then select that you want to speak to someone by clicking 'ok, get help over chat'

Never any issues

9. Eatapeach

Eatapeach Active Member

Crossed wires - you are talking about Amazon web chat and I'm talking about Hermes. Hermes cannot be contacted!

[​IMG]

10. rogers-lodger

rogers-lodger Member

You get what you pay for really. Hermes is the lowest quality. They charge little and pay their drivers little.

Dpd are pretty Damn good with tracking including realtime driver location package number and estimate arrival slot. I have opened my door after tracking online and watching the van pull up.

As for insurance I don't bother any more. If you read the fine print so many things aren't covered eg anything containing glass etc.

You need to package an item so it can be dropped from hand height. Most people are useless at packaging and thing bubble wrap is magic...

Only buy tracked and signed for . royal mail 2nd class signed for up to 2 kg is 3.90 leave the insurance it ain't worth it. Parcel force 48 is Around £10 up to 20kg! ( standard insurance £60 )

Touch wood , ive sent sbout 500 parcels over the past few years and lost 1... I sent it two the wrong flat in Beijing.... There were about 700 in the building....

Bart, effinity and DIB like this.
  11. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

I've just received an email from parcel to go saying Hermes are withdrawing the majority of their services from the website.

That's not a problem as I dont use Hermes. The last time i used them, i sent some speakers which arrived damaged. When i saw some pictures it looked like it had been dropped from a height onto concrete. I couldn't work out how that could happen until I watched a video of a Hermes depot which showed parcels being chucked onto a conveyor belt which then went down a steep slope where lots of the parcels fell off the belt onto a concrete floor....

It took me a long time to get compensation from Parcel to go, they tried to repeatedly fob me off, but I think they realised that I wasn't going away.

12. FrancisClement

FrancisClement pfm Member

I have just used Parcel2Go to collect books, I chose UPS and it should be reliable. I have used P2G for ages and always choose UPS or DPD for international collection and never had a problem (so far, fingers crossed, touch wood!!). P2G get a good price which is significantly cheaper than going direct unless you are a business and so has a valid place in the market

FF

13. jamie123

jamie123 pfm Member

as above,no problems here.

14. DIB

DIB pfm Member

I love these threads being a long time employee of one of the big boys, and I understand where a lot of you are coming from. I must say though that although 99% of private shippers who book with us via P2G, Interparcel et al package their goods very well, the other 1% don't help themselves. After 23 years in this industry you would not believe some of the packaging I have seen, and I personally have refused to pick up numerous shipments over the years because of totally inadequate packaging. I'm sure some people think I'm picking up their parcel for Australia and delivering it personally myself.

jamington2004 likes this.
  15. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

True. Still beggars belief that they can refuse to pay for a completely lost parcel of the contents contain things not covered for damage!

I stopped using parcel2go and parcelmonkey years ago - more due to the abismal communication / lack of abIlity to respond quickly to urgent enquiries (email only and taking 2 days to respond to each one!)

They may be marginally cheaper than Royal Mail - but when you add insurance they are usually a lot more.

Especially now RM have online labels purchase. I used the “next day <20kg £2500 insurance” for £40 odd recently. And again with <5kg £1800 insurance was £25. Would have been more like £90 / £40 through the online guys and would have taken longer to deliver!

szczemirek and Mynamemynaim like this.
  16. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

That's interesting to know!
    Thanks

17. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Yeah it’s great you can even take a QR code to the sorting office and they can print and stick the labels on :)
    Post office you need to print and add the labels before I think

18. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I'm waiting on a package right now from UPS, absolutely rubbish service.

Yesterday their tracking page said "out for delivery" at 0613. Nothing appeared and I stayed in all day. Late in the day the tracking was updated to "In Transit" and "Destination Scan" but at that same time of 0613. Nothing has happened since. The website is a nightmare, it's impossible to get through to customer service or anything else other than the bot.

Thing is, I'm not impatient at all and if there was an indication of delivery in 3 days time I would be happy, but there is simply nothing. I fell into the trap of registering with them to "get more delivery detail" but the info was exactly the sodding same.

It worries me that yesterday morning their tracking info said the package was "out for delivery". Having stayed in all day yesterday, I'm here all day today now just in case and probably my wife will have to be here all day tomorrow if nothing arrives today because I will be at work. I have a feeling I'll be lucky if this package ever arrives and hasn't been lost.

It's an utter shambles. On the other hand, in the past I've had no problems at all with Hermes.

19. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I had a UPS delay 2 weeks ago whereas it was "out for delivery", but failed to arrive. Later on in the evening the status updated to " circumstances beyond our control". When it arrived the following day I was told the van had been involved in an accident & from that moment in time nothing was delivered. Maybe something has happened to the van, the driver, who knows.

20. Magic

Magic Hifi Whore Dah?

I've used Harmers 3 times in the last week. One dropped off last Monday, delivered Friday. Another dropped off last Friday, delivered yesterday. The last dropped off last Tuesday, status update that it's been received by them @ 10pm that night, then nothing since. Their automated assistant just restates the tracking info & pisses off, so a total waste of time. The phone number just rings off, so I guess it's pretty much a lottery using them.

At least RM pay out on their insurance claims. They don't always provide tracking info, but then in most cases neither do Harmers. I would have thought it's reasonable to run an internal data check to ensure a package has a delivered status after a week, & send alerts to the last known location. I know they run the service on slim margins, but this would strike me as the bare minimum.