advertisement

Best way to recycle a car?

2ManyBoxes

pfm Member
My 51 reg Honda Civic 1.4S has come to the end of it's natural life and it is now time for it to move on into the great beyond. This is because it is no longer economical to repair, it needs a new clutch, startrter motor and sump as well as a full service and MOT.

It has 137,000 miles on the clock so it owes me nothing.

I've never scrapped a car before but there seem to be many rottin' tootin' shootin' options out there. Any recommendations for a humane killer?

Move it on for scrap - reputable ones will inform you once it's been responsibly dealt with. They'll come and take it, plus provide you with all of the paperwork, and probably pay you. I did similar recently and got best part of £200.

I was in a similar situation to you with my last car. I found a company that would take the car away on a lowloader and recycle it for nothing. Presumably they were able to make more money recycling bits of the car than it cost them to collect it. I was given a scrappage document to send to DVLC. It was painless.

51 reg, 137k? It's virtually new.

My mother's got to scrap her old Fiesta, at 49k miles i find that totally obscene but the economics and corrosion dictate.

Webuyanycar offered my daughter £50 for her immaculate 2006 Peugeot 206 recently, they did offer more a few weeks later, another £5. Temptation lasted all of 0.000000000001 sec, rather set it alight than give them the satisfaction of being shafted by Philip Schofield.

We buy any car is of course owned by British Car Auctions. Who if you don't have a trade card charge any buyer of an auctioned car £250 for their services. So any cars they buy and stick in an auction makes them money and keeps the turnover moving.

R-8598634-1464819195-6857.jpeg.jpg

Webuyanycar offered my daughter £50 for her immaculate 2006 Peugeot 206 recently, they did offer more a few weeks later, another £5. Temptation lasted all of 0.000000000001 sec, rather set it alight than give them the satisfaction of being shafted by Philip Schofield.
wow ..that's pretty bad..folks are always looking for runabouts

Yes, the next time they send an email with an update I'll save the webpage to show how much it might have gone up.

Never knew British Car Auctions owned WBAC, learn something new each day.

Just ring a local breaker, current rate is about £100 a ton, maybe less if they have to collect. When you hand it over you get a signed slip to send to DVLA, you give them the signed V5 to say it's not stolen and they can break it.

some breakers sell whole cars for people to repair. Others just remove the valuable bits and sell them, then crush the rest. I can't imagine there are too many desirable bits on a basic 20 year old Civic, so it's battery out, cat off, wheels off, engine and box out for the ally, rest to crusher.

Clean ally is quite valuable. Maybe £1000 a tonne. If you can mince an engine and box and a few other bits and separate the ally from the steel, you might get 50-100kg of ally.

I have taken two cars to scrap. A Citroen Saxo and a Nissan Micra. I think I got about £80 or £90 each. I threatened my Volvo 240, which was 22 years old with no rust and only 110,000 miles on the clock [so barely worn in, let alone clapped out], with the same fate, but sold it for scrap value. That was a good ten years ago now. Sadly the car had little use with its new owner and was stolen from outside their house. It was found, burned out and pushed into the river near Hereford.

Given that it was basically a minter, it would be worth quite a lot now, if if it had continued doing less than a thousand miles a year!

The Citroen and Nissan less so as the rust moth did for them.

Find a scrap [metal salvage] yard and you will have it officially scrapped and get enough to made the work at least not a dead loss. I used CRS in Malvern.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Remove the number plates. Wear your mask. Drive it to the Mall. Stick a brick on the accelerator and remove yourself nonchalantly.

advertisement

Back