advertisement

Best way to digitalize vinyl records: digital recorder or usb/firewire interface?

If you have a pc or mac, than you will get better sound quality, if you will invest the same money in a good AD recording interface than buying a flash card recorder.

Something like LAVRY AD 10, or MYTEK DIGITAL STEREO96 ADC or others (Metric Hallo etc) has IMHO much better sound quality than any flash recorder in the same price range. ;)

I have Lavry AD10, Mytek 96ADC, Korg MR1 és MR1000 and few recordings with Sonic Studio 305 (roughly the same as MH ULN8), plus a chance to play with MSB Technology Studio ADC (works up to 384 kHz).
You can hear a 192k wav LP sample track made with Sonic 305 here (a very old Russian LP):

Carmen - Digitized Russian Melogyija LP sample with Sonic 305 ADC - 192k/24 bit

and a Lightnin' Hopkins track with the car battery driven Altmann ADC and Phono amp:

Lightnin' Hopkins LP track - 96k 16 bit file - digitized with battery driven Altmann Phono amp and Creation ADC

endust4237.

Cnaciba i Dobrie Vetj (as close as I can come to thanks and good evening in Russian - if I remember correctly)

Thanks. I will listen to them in a short while.

Tomorrow morning I will pick up an unused PCI-slot E-MU 1212m for £60 to see what it may be able to do with audio in from my hi-fi set-up. It has good specs and 24bit / 192khz. It is a very cost effective way of getting started although I am sure that if I had enough money burning in my hands I would not hesitate to buy a Korg MR-1000 or Korg MR-2 / 2000 in its place. I just hope that I won't encounter too many driver problems. The Shuttle SG33G6 (using onboard video) has a Q6600 processor and 4 GB ram (expandable to 8 Gb) + two 1tb hard drives installed + a dvd burner installed.

Keep the needle drops coming in various bit depths and sampling frequensies.

Best wishes,
Peter

Lightnin' Hopkins sounds in good form and quality!

It is playing as I write this. I just wish that I had my recapped Naim set and the new N-Sats with me here ... Now I play through my PC sound card and some Logitech Z-2300 active speakers.

I will listen to the Russian sample later.

Best wishes,
Peter

David F.

Thanks to you, too. My wife has records she would like to listen to, a rare Jukka Tolonen with two Danish mucisians that I can't locate anywhere for example. And I own a very rare vinyl record mde by a Danish band (TV-2 under the name as the Bautifuls") that I would like to listen to everywhere in the house. And I have other records that are hard to get CD versions of. + There is no room in the livingroom for a TT.

That's the story.

Best wishes,
Peter

Hello again.

I have now tested the set-up and would like to make a 2 minute example (Recorded in 24 / 96 but exported as Wav 16 bit) available so you can hear what my set-up is capable of. But where can I store my two-minute sample?

My set-up is:
Thorens TD 160B MKII (modified), Morch UP-4, Denon 103r
into
Nac 62s
analogue out into
E-MU 1212m (Audacity)

I plan to make two exports from Audacity - one in 24/96 FLAC and another in 16 bit Wav. One will be stored on my Nas server and streamed, the other burned to CD.

Bestwishes,
Peter

I have now completed "After Three Days" with Christian Sievert, Jukka Tolonen, Mads Vinding, Luis Carlos De Siquira (Chuim) (Music Mecca ML 101) and to me it sounds fabulous.

The 2-minute excerpt that I will make available, as soon as someone tells me how, is 2 1-minute parts from the 1st track, "Coffee and Cognac."

Best wishes,
Peter

It sounds good Peter!

There's a little breakup in the vocals near the end, but I'm guessing that's the LP.

Eric L.
"It sounds good Peter!

There's a little breakup in the vocals near the end, but I'm guessing that's the LP. "

Theodorakis is/was an old man when he recorded this, but it would be interesting if you could tell me the exact point in time (2:45 or so). I tried to stream it through my SB Touch/Aune Dac to Nac 252 but it didn't quite sound alright. I'm beginning to think that this may be because of the DAC (or the OPamps that I have put in there). I will have to look into this. The Theodorakis piece sounded fine on my Nac 62s + 140 into Rega R1s - and there I was able to make A - B listening tests. I could detect subtle differences only. I'll se if I can expand on this when I get back from London with the N-Sats that are going to replace my Rega R1s (which are going to be shipped to their new owner later today).

Werner.
I have only good things to say about the TNT hifi site. So I'm going to read these articles linked to very carefully.

Best wishes,
Peter Wind

For what it's worth, I'm just in the throws of starting this process. So far I have made some 24bit/44.1khz recordings off my Garrard 301/Loricraft plinth/Rega RB300/Incognito/17D2/Loricraft phono stage in to my macbook using Garageband. The results have been surprisingly good after outputting to AIFF or FLAC (much better than a standard cd rip) via my Linn Akurate DS system. The only hassle is trying to split up the tracks and apply metadata to it (haven't succeeded yet). Good luck

I have Lavry AD10, Mytek 96ADC, Korg MR1 és MR1000 and few recordings with Sonic Studio 305 (roughly the same as MH ULN8), plus a chance to play with MSB Technology Studio ADC (works up to 384 kHz).

endust,

How are those AD compared to the Nagra LB?

I had a USB LP deck for a short while, which used Audacity to record. It sounded alright, though it was very cheaply made and the platter made graunching sounds.
I was thinking of putting the gubbins into a decent deck, but I sold it instead.

advertisement

Back