advertisement

Best VFM LP12 configuration

I went from Ittok to Nima. Didn’t regret it. Stopped at Cirkus and Lingo II. Only recent change is a new cartridge. I’ll spend no more on it, other than servicing/ maintenance.

I think the OP raises a very pertinent question, particularly relevant to the LP12 as it has been around for so long and has gone through so many stages of development. I don’t personally own an LP2 (in fact I never have done although I’ve had a few on long term loan) but I have heard most of the incarnations. My own preference is for latter generation, quite high spec versions - I prefer the tighter, leaner but more linear, transparent and detailed rendition. However, I’m not totally a fan of the Radikal motor ‘upgrade’ and I would take a good unipivot over the Ekos (even the SE). My personal experience is with the Naim Aro and TigerPaw Javelin (both no longer made), but the Roksan Nima has been very well received and probably the new Roksan unipivot will be too (perhaps even more so as it is a development of the Audio Origami unipivot).

probably the new Roksan unipivot will be too
- thats the Sara arm I think. I hadnt heard about that before....has it been reviewed? It looks more expensive than a 2nd hand Aro!
Turning to phono amps, whats the opinion on how something like the Naim Superline compares to the the Prefix or Ulrika?

Yes, the Sara. I’m afraid I’m not up on second hand prices for Aro’s and don’t follow the reviews either :(.

As for phonostages, well the Urika is the Linn internal one and, from what I’ve heard, is very good*. The Superline I found rather disappointing (I haven’t heard it with any power supply larger that a Hi-Cap). The Prefix is very good for the money.

* Though the Uphorik, similar in circuit to the Urika, I found rather ‘mechanical’ sounding.

I think the OP raises a very pertinent question, particularly relevant to the LP12 as it has been around for so long and has gone through so many stages of development. I don’t personally own an LP2 (in fact I never have done although I’ve had a few on long term loan) but I have heard most of the incarnations. My own preference is for latter generation, quite high spec versions - I prefer the tighter, leaner but more linear, transparent and detailed rendition. However, I’m not totally a fan of the Radikal motor ‘upgrade’ and I would take a good unipivot over the Ekos (even the SE). My personal experience is with the Naim Aro and TigerPaw Javelin (both no longer made), but the Roksan Nima has been very well received and probably the new Roksan unipivot will be too (perhaps even more so as it is a development of the Audio Origami unipivot).
Just when you said, LP12 with tighter, leaner, more linear, transparent and detailed rendition, I thought- someone’s already done that and a long time ago! Pink Triangle.

advertisement

Back