advertisement

best version of the planets?

I have dug out my von Karajan / Vienna Philharmonic London Jubilee (JL 41005) recording and am listening to it now. Is this the 1961 recording? there's no information on the recoding date on the LP cover, except (p) 1962. Sounds great to me.

Does anyone know if there is anything approaching a Holst Edition? I have only recently realised that The Planets is just one facet of Holst's Orientalist-Hippie-Bonkersness. Everything I find seems amazing - e.g. Cloud Messenger, Hymns From The Rig Veda, Savitri etc. and I want to hear it all.

palp

1977 Penguin Guide top 3 (3 stars)

HMV (Angel) LSO Ambrosian Singers Previn. Dem. quality. exc. rendition

DECCA Ace of D. Vienna P.O. Vienna State Op. Chorus Karajan. Richly atmospheric; a revelation...

HMV (Angel) New Phil Orch. Ambrosian Singers Boult. literal, brilliant recording.

There y'go...

I have dug out my von Karajan / Vienna Philharmonic London Jubilee (JL 41005) recording and am listening to it now. Is this the 1961 recording? there's no information on the recoding date on the LP cover, except (p) 1962. Sounds great to me.

That`ll be the one and I agree, it is a fine performance.

Does anyone know if there is anything approaching a Holst Edition? I have only recently realised that The Planets is just one facet of Holst's Orientalist-Hippie-Bonkersness. Everything I find seems amazing - e.g. Cloud Messenger, Hymns From The Rig Veda, Savitri etc. and I want to hear it all.

palp

This is about the closest, there's some excellent stuff on Lyrita, but very rare now, and I can't find it on CD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holst-Various-Works-Artists/dp/B00005QDYL/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330950700&sr=1-3

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

palp
There is an ongoing series on Chandos of yer man's orchestral output. It's reached Volume II. It intrigues me that while The Planets is so well known, the rest of his work is almost unheard.

advertisement

Back