advertisement

Best version of Dire Straits - Love Over Gold

ex brickie

pfm Member
Can anyone recommend which LP version to get of this album without spending silly money? I’d love an MFSL 2LP set but I’m not prepared to spend £50+

Are any of the early or foreign pressings really decent? I’m really wanting a vinyl version but if there’s a truly superior CD version I’m open to that. I don’t stream music so that’s out .

I can't say it's "superior" to the LP but the Vertigo 'atom' CD can picked up for buttons and sounds pretty good to me.

MFSL best version by a large margin almost sold out now or AAA Bernie Grundman & Pressed at Pallas excellent

In a world full of questionable, cash-register-driven reissues, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab’s dead-quiet, ruler-flat, 45rpm version of Dire Straits is nothing less than the sonic restoration of a masterpiece, and it’s worthy of the spotlight in any passionate music-lover’s vinyl gallery.

I have an original UK pressing and a Japanese import. The latter was much quieter and superior. This was when UK vinyl was being pressed on recycled Rice Krispies

The 2010 Warner re-issue is very good. Mastered by Bernie Grundman/Chris Bellman, pressed at Pallas and is $27.00 and still available here in the states. I'm sure you can still snag a copy from where you are.

Thanks for your response folks
On other albums I’ve had quite a bit of success with Japanese pressings but reissues and so-called remasters have been very patchy and unreliable. Hence I haven’t considered re masters without getting views.
I’ve seen MFSL versions recently but at around £50 secondhand

I have a 1982 German Vertigo pressing (green label) that is as thin as cigarette paper. It still sounds excellent, but it has become noisy.
I bought a recent reissue: the pressing is very good, but it sounds veiled. The cover is appalling too.
The Spotify version is way better.

Not for sale but I have a copy with a gold circle about the size of a 5 pence piece on the back cover it looks to be gold leaf and done at the point of printing rather than added later I've never got to the bottom of it or if it's significant in any way.

I have the original pressing, and Simply Vinyl version, which is much better. The problem with the 2LP versions is getting up every 10 minutes to turn it over. I never play my RTI version of Brothers in Arms for this reason, and have a Simply Vinyl version that does get played (and a Simply Vinyl Making Movies, my favourite of all).

where is the best place to get MFSL pressings in the uk ebay prices are silly money
Scott Nangle has it in stock for £64. It's superb, and if you love the album it must be the best way to hear it. Failing that look for the regular US Pallas pressing from about 10 or so years ago.

The danger is that you’ll buy a copy for £30ish, as you can’t justify £50+ for an LP.
However, that nagging doubt in the back of your mind that there is a better version out there will always be there.
I’m not a fan of DS, but have heard the MFSL 45 rpm versions at a mates house on a super-system. They are indeed a benchmark example of how vinyl can sound & if you’re a DS fan, I would say it’s worth pushing the boat out for.

When it came out i bought a Japanese pressing, still have it. The standard disc sounded dull by comparison.

I am quite surprised about all these apparently better versions as my UK masterdisk-cut on Vertigo sounds fantastic. Not that I doubt or anything but I've never felt the need to look for anything better.

Tim

I am quite surprised about all these apparently better versions as my UK masterdisk-cut on Vertigo sounds fantastic. Not that I doubt or anything but I've never felt the need to look for anything better.

Tim
Agreed. Possibly the best pressing available. I recently(ish) went looking for my copy amongst my collection but somehow somewhere it has just gone missing. I just can't fathom why it has:( I can't see what is wrong with the original first pressing. Clarity & dynamics are so good, it almost sounds digital (could be a bad thing for some).

Anyhow since the record has not resurfaced despite many checks I have been forced to buy a copy from eBay & sounds as good as ever. I am going to compare this to the half speed Abbey road master which I have recently purchased too as a fill in earlier on until I could (hopefully) find my original copy (not materialized yet).I don't have the MFSL copy but did hear a track at the Wam show :)

I have to agree with the.post that the original UK pressing is excellent.Mine is dynamic and no surface noise. The original CD release is also IMHO good as well

advertisement

Back