advertisement

Best valves fo Pure Sound p10

AdamWysokinski

Mmm... music...
Hi,
My setup is almost finished and the last thing I'd like to change are valves in my p10 phono stage. Currently there are two Electro Harmonix (ECC83 and ECC88). They sound good, but I'm sure there are better ones. What would you recommend? I'm looking for a detailed, energetic and slightly warmish sound.
Cheers, Adam

Lots of people are having good luck with TJ ECC83s (unless you want to spring for something like NOS Telefunkens, which cost as much as the P10 itself!).

For the ECC88, I've heard that the E88CC-01 is recommended, in fact I believe that's what Guy uses.

Lots of people are having good luck with TJ ECC83s (unless you want to spring for something like NOS Telefunkens, which cost as much as the P10 itself!).

For the ECC88, I've heard that the E88CC-01 is recommended, in fact I believe that's what Guy uses.

Thanks, I'll check prices and availability of these TJs and Mullards. No NOS for me, if I have that kind of money, I would get a better phono stage instead :)

Well I´m hoping to try either a (60 euro) Sylvania NOS or a tefla NOS for the 83 and either a (75 euro) Amperex NOS or a Valvo NOS for the 88. Would 135 euros more spent on another phono stage get me a better one than the P10 ? Maybe if I added it to what I paid new but certainly not adding it to what I would get for it second hand.

I can really recommend the TJ Full Music ECC83s. I run them in my Icon PS1 and have heard them sounding excellent in a highly modified WAD3 Phono stage.

Why not just ring Guy and ask him. He's very approachable.

I have some of the TJ 83's here to try but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Of currently made valves tried I do like the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS and the gold pinned JJ ECC803. JJ's gold pinned E88CC is also a nice valve but the EH 88 you have is no slouch.

NOS I like the Telefunken ECC83 and the Mullard E88CC-01 but both are costly now.

tbh, I'm not a great 'tube roller' but if you do it, be sure that each tube you try has been run for at least 50 hrs before serious comparisons are made.

Beware very expensive NOS valves too. Some can be good, others quite poor sounding or noisy. I always ask why the valves weren't sold or used the first time round! Some of the low microphony ex military ones can also sound as dead as a doornail.

Thanks for help. Excuse my ignorance, but of the two tubes there are inside, which has more effect on the sound quality?

I have some of the TJ 83's here to try but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Of currently made valves tried I do like the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS and the gold pinned JJ ECC803. JJ's gold pinned E88CC is also a nice valve but the EH 88 you have is no slouch.

NOS I like the Telefunken ECC83 and the Mullard E88CC-01 but both are costly now.

tbh, I'm not a great 'tube roller' but if you do it, be sure that each tube you try has been run for at least 50 hrs before serious comparisons are made.

Beware very expensive NOS valves too. Some can be good, others quite poor sounding or noisy. I always ask why the valves weren't sold or used the first time round! Some of the low microphony ex military ones can also sound as dead as a doornail.

I have had three sets of TJ ECC83 and they all failed in my phono stage, I can't fault Nick at Hifi Collective who got me replacements every time.

I have now gone back to Sovtek 12AX7LPS and no problems, in fact the Art Audio Vinyl One was designed around the 12AX7LPS so no surprises there that they deliver.

Hi,
My setup is almost finished and the last thing I'd like to change are valves in my p10 phono stage. Currently there are two Electro Harmonix (ECC83 and ECC88). They sound good, but I'm sure there are better ones. What would you recommend? I'm looking for a detailed, energetic and slightly warmish sound.
Cheers, Adam

hi Adam,

What valves did you end up going for?

I have just acquired a P10 and have ordered new valves for it - JJ ECC803 and JJ E88CC gold pins - will report back on how these work out ...

cheers.

Hi,
I'm still using my good old EHs. I'm considering a pair of Genalex Gold Lions, however I'm extremely interested in you report. Please keep us informed :)

The P10 is now up and running and it is R-O-C-K-I-N-G !!

New valves arrived today courtesy of Guy Sergeant at Pure Sound. Gave the system 30 mins to warm up and then bang - just played the whole of Rush's staggering "Moving PIctures" lp and I have a massive grin on my face.

The sound has the warmth I am looking for, but it's also super dynamic and expressive. The soundstage has opened up further and is giving me fresh insights into the music and added realism. I didn't get much of a chance to assess the old valves that came with the P10 but am convinced the JJ's are a significant step up. It is a great feeling to hear my all the components of my system gelling so convincingly - it's been a while!

Only issue I need to sort is that I am getting some hum from the stage, which hopefully some shielded cables should sort out ...

And to think the sound is only going to get better as the tubes settle in. Awesome.

Sovtek 12AX7 LPS is a great tube for 10 euros what it costs, just check the glass it's housed and have a look on the grid. You won't find many tubes of such a build quality for the price, let along the sound which is very very decent - and better than many overrated NOS tubes around.

Some NOS Russian ECC88 named 6N23P-EV can sound very decent for reasonable money. They ain't Telefunkens but are much better then almost anything contemporary made, if you cand stand their a bit darker sound. Try first with Voshkod and Reflektor labels.

What are each valve type responsible for, soundwise, in the P10 ? Or is it not that simple ? I fitted a Tungsram 83 from 1960 and the change for the better was not small. With the original EH6922, perhaps a bit brash but extremely good. Now I have fitted a 1961 Valvo (Heerlen) 88 and it is the icing on the cake - makes everything very refined but perhaps no longer on the front row but a bit further back. More of everything except, perhaps, depth. It only has a few hours on it so early days yet.

I never thought of installing a ECC82 and what location v1 v2 v3?

But why use a valve with the wrong spec? an ECC81 is different from an ECC82 which is different again from an ECC83. The only thing they all have in common is their pin connections and the fact they are all double triodes!

advertisement

Back