advertisement

Best tuner ever made?

Thanks, not too far away, to be honest I thought they only sold aerial's, didn't know they installed as well.

The best tuner I have heard is a Linn DS running 1Mb internet radio streams. Even 320kbs beats FM. The Naim 01, Revox 760, Troughlines, Marantz 2030 are all sold now. Cannot quite part with the Yamaha CT7000, easily the best of em, but its nothing more than an ornament now. Face it, FM is over. Though DAB didn't kill it, the Internet did. The net makes DXing look a bit academic, too. IMO, of course.

Q1 I don't understand the wire loop connections as shown - don't these short out the coax ?

It's a short at DC, but the aerial forms part of the tuning circuit of the receiver, so you're not interested in what it's doing at DC

Q2 -Any wire for the loop?

He's changed the wire to tin foil strips - so you aren't using wire at all. The width of the tin foil sheets is specified in the diagram

Ok ta

Q3 - is the shape relevant? ie would a triangular apex on top add or detract - (thinking a wall mount in an attic) the "hole" could be square or follow the apex shape.

The internet radio still has reception problems in most cars....

Funny, it was the Ron Smith on the roof down the motorway I struggled with. The 01 didn't care for 12V either, come to that.

Hi Have Fun,

I'm trying to find my details for making this aerial.
From what I remember it was easy to assemble the pre made panels in the loft.

Q1 I don't understand the wire loop connections as shown - don't these short out the coax ?

No the rules are different at RF for the loop will form a tuned circuit when connected to your tuner.
In DC and audio frequencies it would appear as a short circuit.

Q2 -Any wire for the loop?

If you build it as of fig1 using a single looped wire, the frequency response will be too narrow to work successfully across the FM band (88-108Mhz)

Q3 - is the shape relevant? i.e. would a triangular apex on top add or detract - (thinking a wall mount in an attic) the "hole" could be square or follow the apex shape.

You will need to build it as of fig 3 as the increase in the panel width will make it wide band, also the panel shape is critical to match the 75Ω impedance.

If you build one as a square with all side equal the impedance will not match the the required 75Ω.

Also if you build one as a triangular known as a delta aerial again the impedance is approximately half of the quad aerial, again it will also have a narrow band response.

To make the most of the this design it would need to mounted within the rafters and pointed it in the direction of the transmitter.

Hope this has help to answer your questions.

Sharif.

When I find the design details I will draw them up in Autocad and print them as pdf's.

All you need for the frame is:-

1 Pack of 32x32mm square planned timber from Wickes.
1 Sheet of 6mm plywood or 2 sheets if you going to build the reflector.
1 20M roll of kitchen aluminium foil.
1 Tin of contact adhesive.
1 Tin of polyurethane varnish.
Some 50mm and 30mm screws.
M4 nut and bolt for the coax connection.

Sharif

Thanks for the help

I know its not ideal but I will have to mount this fairly low within the apex of a single storey extension (unless it goes outdoors)

my current aerial is an omni directional half round type from maplins mounted externally 5.5 / 6m height - this gives just over half signal strength on my tuner ( another tuner shows 75-80%) but I'm more inclined to believe my main tuner's meter.

it will be an interesting & cheap experiment to see if there is any improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by volante View Post
and a Day Sequerra Model 1 (design based on the famous Marantz 10B)
Not surprising as the 10B was designed by Dick Sequerra

And thoses are probably the best tuners ever made.....lovely!:D

The USA appears to be a good place to source a quality vintage tuner. However how easy would it be to convert a tuner to the British 50Hz 240V system?

The USA appears to be a good place to source a quality vintage tuner. However how easy would it be to convert a tuner to the British 50Hz 240V system?

It is not just a case of changing the voltage to 230/240v. Most of the US tuners are 115v fixed voltage so you have to use a step down transformer from 230/240 to 115v. The more important point is the de-emphasis will also have to be changed otherwise the performance will be severely impaired.

Often changing from 115 to 240 is just a swap out of transformer - as long as its a simple transformer and not one with multiple, unusual secondary voltages.

Problems arise if it relies on being 60Hz but often it just gets converted to DC inside so that wouldnt matter. Just make sure you can rpovide the right DC voltages to the right points.

How do people rate the Tandberg 3001A? The fmtunerinfo shootout only tests the cheaper 3011A and the individual write-up says something like: one guy says it's the best, another does rate it much..

Anyone ever tried Meridian's other offerings like the 604 and their early ones, the 101 and MFM tuners?

I've only ever tried the Meridian 204 and 504. The former is nice enough but an early Creek is even better. The 504 was rather more impressive from what I recall.

Better yet are the three UK tuners that hardly ever get seen; The Onix BWD1, the ION Tuner, and the Linx Theta. The latter two are rare as the proverbial hens teeth though. However, they are well worth grabbing if you see one. I'm still looking for the Ion to partner my Obelisk 3x. The Theta was available ever so briefly before Linx's demise. It was a tweeked Magnum Dynalab in drag and according to the few journos who got to hear it at length, it was the best sounding tuner they had ever heard, bar none. Any of these should cost less than a Naim NAT02 and would run it very close indeed.

I'm a bit late on this thread, but FWIW, here are my choices from tuners I have owned:

Hitachi FT-5500 Mk II
Kenwood 815
Kenwood 917
McIntosh MR 78
McIntosh MR80
Revox B260
Revox B261
Revox B286
Sansui TU-X1
Sansui TU-9900
Sansui TU-919
Tandberg 3001
Tandberg 3011

I have not owned any of the later digital Kenwoods or the higher end Yamahas, but they are supposed to be quite good.

If you want only one tuner and don't mind manual tuning, the Sanusi TU-X1, Mac MR 80 or Tandberg 3001 are good choices.

If OTOH, you must have a remote go for one of the Revoxes or the Yamaha TX-1000/2000.

Would like to get myself one of the finest tuner's ever made. What do you suggest, price is not an issue.

advertisement

Back