advertisement

Best tuner ever made?

Accuphase T101 is the best I've heard to date. Shouldn't have sold it.

T100 is probably a tad better still.

I guess fmtuner.info couldn't find one for their shootout then...

I have actually owned 11 out of their top 20 (and the Naim too) None of them could beat the Kremlin, especially for low signal pick up sensitivity which is one of my main criteria for tuner performance. Some certainly sounded marginally better but for picking up far away stations...unbeatable. The Revox tuners were close and the TU919 was outstanding in most respects.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html#NAT01

Naim 01 Ranked at No 18
Linn Kremlin ranked at 80

My Onkyo T4970 / T488F is somewhere between I believe .. see the 9090

edit the linn kremlin is no 33 on the first linked list but is also 80 on another list - I dunno

Is there a definite date announced for when all these wonderful, expensive items of equipment are going to be useless? Why would anybody wish to acquire an FM tuner now?

Is there a definite date announced for when all these wonderful, expensive items of equipment are going to be useless? Why would anybody wish to acquire an FM tuner now?
Probably when the majority of Britain's 31 million plus cars have DAB radios........

Don't hold your breath.

They are counting all forms of digital radio, including internet, freeview, satellite, the lot. When that reaches 50% of listeners they will claim that DAB is a success.

I've owned a NAT01, Accuphase T-100, T-101 (currently on ebay), T-107, T-108, Magnum Dynalab, McIntosh MR78, Quad FM4, Meridian 204 and 504 and a bunch of others. The Meridian 204 is the best tuner I have heard.

I've owned a NAT01, Accuphase T-100, T-101 (currently on ebay), T-107, T-108, Magnum Dynalab, McIntosh MR78, Meridian 204 and 504 and a bunch of others. The Meridian 204 is the best tuner I have heard.

Glad you like it Ross. :D

I preferred it to the NAT01 I had too. It took a modified Sansui and Kenwood to edge it for me, but the 204 is a great bargain.

fmtuner info!

since when did we start accepting american opinion as to what constitutes good sound?

I find they are more objective, more open, & less biased towards Brit Kit .. that's simply my personal opinion based on the comments on various fora. Same goes for European opinions but they need more effort in translation.

At the top end I have had a Sansui TU-X1, Linn Kremlin, Nat01, Leak Throughline with a Tim de Paravicini tube Decoder and a highly modified Dynaco FM3. I thought the Sansui was way better then the Linn Kremlin and Nat01 in a very obvious way so if you can get hold of one I would go for that. But over all I preferred the modified Dynaco above the others, although it missed out on sound stage and detail it just sounded stunning.

Ive heard two Trough/ Tde P decoder combos sound very different. First one had a peculuar letter box sound staging- very wide but with minimal stage height. The current one does not suffer this and has one hell of an output- must be well over 2V. The current one has been professionally overhauled at least twice. With a 4 element yagi pointing straight at the BBC transmitter 5 miles away across the sea, the reception is top notch. The MD102 is still better though

Yes but they do review the T85
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/yamaha.html

unfortunately they still have not reviewed the T 4970 488F this being very rare apparently

There is a small write-up at the Tuner Information Center:

Onkyo T-488F (1993) search eBay
We don't have any first-hand information on the extremely rare T-488F, a digital tuner with Onkyo's APR system (described in the T-9090 writeup below), dual antenna inputs and RDS capability (see the T-4310R writeup below for more on RDS). In addition to Wide, Narrow and Super Narrow IF bandwidth modes, the T-488F had a circuit called DYNAS which our contributor Nick describes as "a unique filtering system that automatically tracks the bandwidth according to conditions, right down to 20 kHz." Engaging DYNAS can reportedly make audible a signal that would otherwise be swamped by a strong local 100 kHz away. Nick uses the T-4970, believed to have been sold only in Germany, which was presumably identical to the T-488F except for voltage and tuning increments.

Here's a further description of the DYNAS circuit, apparently quoted from Onkyo's own sales materials:
"The U42922B is a bipolar integrated FM-IF circuit, which is controlled by software. It performs all the functions of the DYNAS system. The device is designed for car radio and home receiver applications. DYNAS is a completely new system of FM-IF processing. It uses bandpass filters with a bandwidth down to about 20 kHz compared to 160 kHz for a conventional bandpass filter, and tracks the resonant frequency to the actual frequency. Implementation of the DYNAS system drastically enhances both of the basic, classic characteristics of radio reception: selectivity and reception sensitivity. DYNAS ensures enhancement up to levels which until now were not considered physically feasible. A complete system description can be found in "DYNAS system & its application in car radios" (Jan. 1992).

Features
In comparison to conventional FM-IF systems:
More than 26 dB better selectivity in case of directly (100 kHz) adjacent transmitters"

Also more useful info here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/message/62196

advertisement

Back