advertisement

Best things heard in a pub.

Not so much heard, but saw.. a young lad a little worst for wear, was doing his best Freddie Mercury impression when Queen came up on the jukebox. There were a number of pool tables in this bar, and the rest of the table's players were enjoying his singing antics into his cue, all laughing and cheering him on until he went with the using the cue like a microphone stand prop, and he promptly swiped the bar of drinks as he strutted along.

Pub in Carshalton in the early 80s when the budget had just put the price of a pint up to 50 pence :-

Me "two pints of bitter please" embarrassed barman "that`l be......100 "

“You are barred…”

Not heard that for nearly 30 years, but it was the right decision.

Rough pub as well. Nothing to be proud of.

My wife was often banned from pubs during and shorty after her time at university. Usually caused by her giving a right cross to men who were sexist or insulting. She has almost grown out of it.

Not heard but seen in Lamlash. Chap on a barstool nursing a pint and a wee half, so far gone he couldn't stand, so two blokes carried him to the loo; but the best bit was they carried him back to his stool.

“You are barred…”

heard very recently in my local - more interestingly, getting barred from one pub in the town, will cause the offender to go on a central register, so they'll be barred from all pubs in the town.

When I first went drinking regularly with a bunch of mates in That Birkenhead we had to work our itinerary around the pubs from which one of us, nicknamed Crazy John, had been barred. It would usually take about three weeks for his face to be forgotten. Fortunately there were a lot of pubs in Birkenhead.

A piece of string walks into the bar and orders a pint. "Sorry", said the barman, " we don't serve string".

The piece of string then goes out, twists and roughs himself over to look unkempt and tries his luck again. "Aren't you the piece of string I refused a little while ago ?", asks the barman suspiciously.

The string shakes his head vehemently and retorts "I'm a frayed knot".

advertisement

Back