advertisement

Best streamer

The same seller sells SoTM streamers and I actually had the opportunity to compare the 550 euro model connected to a 450 euro USB DAC to a stock SBT and I didn't notice any difference. I even blind tested the setup with a golden ears guy and he couldn't either.
I think digital stuff within a certain price range doesn't differ too much or anything at all. But maybe I2S is da sh*t since sliced bread, lots of talk about it, but what would I know? :D

Previously I had the SOTM SM200 Mini Neo SE in my system using USB to my DAC. It was very good but I replaced it with a Metrum Ambre using I2S to my DAC. My system now sounds much better so yes, thumbs up for I2S.

Wouldn't a streamer/DAC box already connect inside through I2S?
Yup, I2S was never designed as an external cabled connection, there’s no built in error correction, which is obvious when you see each manufacturer adopt a different connection type cos there isn't a standard.

So what's the I2S fuzz about then? Golden ears box swaps? Adiophilia nervosa remedies? Wouldn't any properly designed streamer/DAC box have a better implementation with 10 mm PCB inside Faraday's cage than 0,5 m cable hanging in the back of units with God knows what next to it?

Yes!

I2S was designed by Philips in 1986. It's in all the early Philips based CDPs (and probably a lot of later ones). It's also generally used to connect RPis to Pi HAT DACs.

It works very well for short (inside the box) interconnection.

"Now a used Akurate DSM/3 really does offer up a stunning performance for sensible money, as good as I could ever wish for and under £4k used'

I'm similar but I have a stand alone Akurate DS. Its amazing value for money and when partnered with an Innuos server as I use it, it really takes some beating.

Yes!

I2S was designed by Philips in 1986. It's in all the early Philips based CDPs (and probably a lot of later ones). It's also generally used to connect RPis to Pi HAT DACs.

It works very well for short (inside the box) interconnection.
I’m using a 1m external utp cat5 “rollover” cable terminated with RJ45 connectors. The Ambre was supplied with a 1.5m standard ethernet cable by the manufacturer so I assume they deem it suitable. Metrum’s familially connected company Sonnet say on their streamer product webpage “the HERMES comes with a dedicated I2S output which is based on impedance matching. This approach makes it possible to use standard UTP cable over lengts of 30 meters without loss or interference.”

Things change.

Things change.
Do they, really? Just making box changes possible and keep the money rolling?
from the slimdevices forum:
In theory you could use I2S as an external interface, but I2S was not designed for this, and no connector is defined for this application.
As the I2S interface consists of 3 signals (bit clock, word select and serial data) + ground, you can get timing problems between these 3 signals when using cables / long wires, also depending on termination of the 3 signals. Without termination you will get reflections that affect the timing."

"Now a used Akurate DSM/3 really does offer up a stunning performance for sensible money, as good as I could ever wish for and under £4k used'

I'm similar but I have a stand alone Akurate DS. Its amazing value for money and when partnered with an Innuos server as I use it, it really takes some beating.

Wonder if you have the Katalyst upgrade done to your DS?. Worth every penny imho ;)

Was listening to my second system the other night. Naim NAC 62, NAP160 Linn Sara's fed by Yamaha wxad-10. Wasn't really happy with the sound so took the Yamaha upstairs and plugged it in to my main system, NAC 32, NAXO, 3 X NAP250s Linn Isobarik PMSs.

I compared it with my RPi4 Hifiberry DAC2 HD. Both fed by the same LMS stream. The sound from the Yamaha was edgy and muddled compared to the Hifiberry DAC2 HD. The Yamaha was not comfortable to listen to.

Was listening to my second system the other night. Naim NAC 62, NAP160 Linn Sara's fed by Yamaha wxad-10. Wasn't really happy with the sound so took the Yamaha upstairs and plugged it in to my main system, NAC 32, NAXO, 3 X NAP250s Linn Isobarik PMSs.

I compared it with my RPi4 Hifiberry DAC2 HD. Both fed by the same LMS stream. The sound from the Yamaha was edgy and muddled compared to the Hifiberry DAC2 HD. The Yamaha was not comfortable to listen to.

Interesting, I have just got a Yamaha WXAD-10 and in my main system it sounds shockingly good. Not as good as the TT or CD but so near as to not make any practical difference. I have been using it with Tidal and enjoying it immensely. Thinking I will use it most of the time and save vinyl and CD for when I am having a sesh. Nice one Yamaha! PS set up was a mare due to useless manual but all is forgiven

advertisement

Back