advertisement

Best streamer

I think power supplies may make a very slight difference maybe. The Touch is still a competitive and venerable bargain even today. There’s no night and day between these things, regardless of price really.
I need a streamer for my future Kitchen system and I’m wondering about an SBT. Can you stream Qobuz via them ? Also internet radio I presume?

I need a streamer for my future Kitchen system and I’m wondering about an SBT. Can you stream Qobuz via them ? Also internet radio I presume?
Yes you can. They are brilliant and they’ve released new community software recently.

I've been streaming in one way or another since streaming started. Gone through loads of different PC based systems and cheap/mid-priced dedicated solutions through the years. Currently I run three streaming systems as ROON end points. On the main system a modded SB Touch on a linear PSU via a TAD dac; sounds great. Office system is a Bluesound Node 2i with linear psu; decent sound. AV system is a Pi 3B with ROPIEEE. All accessing ROON via ROCK (i7 NUC) with music stored on DS1621+.

The modded SB Touch seems the better, took the Node 2i and plumbed it into the main system and not as good imho (probably more a psycho-acoustic effect / prefer what you know, etc). The Pi/Ropieee powered from a battery is great as a cheap streaming option - good for parties as no one can fiddle with it. I've heard/owned more expensive streamers; but all them streamers dedicated or PC solutions did become old tat at some point.

The Node 2i or the current 3 (2021 version) are brilliant out of the box value for money. Connectivity and capability are a no-brainer.

It is pricey considering where you start. My £499 unit has the £799 psu (guessing same as you); reference low noise PSU and ref interface. Have been looking at getting the clock upgrade (another £200 ish). All in it becomes a £1500 streamer. At that money should have probably gone for a Lumin U1 mini (seperate dac) or Lumin D2 with built in dac. That said the upgrades have been done in stages and its for a lower end system. Probably treat myself to a U1 when my SBT dies.

Imho Lumin make the best streamers. https://www.luminmusic.com

It is pricey considering where you start. My £499 unit has the £799 psu (guessing same as you); reference low noise PSU and ref interface. Have been looking at getting the clock upgrade (another £200 ish). All in it becomes a £1500 streamer. At that money should have probably gone for a Lumin U1 mini (seperate dac) or Lumin D2 with built in dac. That said the upgrades have been done in stages and its for a lower end system. Probably treat myself to a U1 when my SBT dies.

Imho Lumin make the best streamers. https://www.luminmusic.com

You are probably correct, there is not much in it between the Bluesound and the Lyngdorf built in streamer, I thought about selling on the Bluesound and pocketing the cash for a later streamer upgrade. Going to try a Audiophile network switch first though, let see if they can make a difference.

I also like the Bluesound for multi room as I have two of their speakers around the house which integrates wonderfully.

You are probably correct, there is not much in it between the Bluesound and the Lyngdorf built in streamer, I thought about selling on the Bluesound and pocketing the cash for a later streamer upgrade. Going to try a Audiophile network switch first though, let see if they can make a difference.

I also like the Bluesound for multi room as I have two of their speakers around the house which integrates wonderfully.
The Auralic Aries G2 into Lyngdorf was a system I really enjoyed and considered a decent step up from the built in streaming option. The new Aries G2.1 has a better USB board for compatibility but is essentially the same inside so a used G2 is an option I’d look at in your shoes.

Having deliberated the matter for some time, I'd decided to dip my toe in the water of HQ streaming. I'd more or less decided on trialling a Bluesound Node, but having developed the (admittedly over-fussy) desire to have a unit that displayed album artwork I re-set my sights on the possibility of a Cambridge Audio CXN (v2). I took myself off to Richer Sounds in the hope of getting the 'live' experience, and heard one hooked up to a pair of AE active speakers. My naïve reasoning was that if it sounded good in this environment, then it should work well through my Naim DAC.

I have to say that I was super-impressed with it's sound capability and functionality - the CA StreamMagic App was intuitive and easy to use without any prompting. I was enjoying the experience, just as my eyes were drawn towards a special 'Open Box' deal on this: www.richersounds.com/cambridge-azur-851n.html

Having had it hooked up to listen to, I didn't even wait for the first track to finish before my bank card was drawn from it's holster and the deal was struck. For just £200 more that the CXN it seemed to me to be a complete no-brainer.

I've been really happy with it so far.

Are you using that over wifi or ethernet to the router?

Well the best streamer is the Linn Klimax DSM
Visit a large Hifi show globally you will never see a Linn streamer but you will see dozens of DCS
I've heard both DCS and Linn Klimax kit... I'd take the Linn, sounds incredible, looks incredible, fantastic user interface and feature set... not that I could afford either, and if someone offered me the DCS kit, I wouldn't say no.

Now a used Akurate DSM/3 really does offer up a stunning performance for sensible money, as good as I could ever wish for and under £4k used.

advertisement

Back