advertisement

Best speakers in the 5k-ish range

MarkieW

pfm Member
Looking to update my speakers next. Quite like nice detail and pace, but also being musical without being analytical (so no diamond/ceramic tweeters!). Any recommendations in this price range? Medium sized room, looking for floorstanders

The best speakers would be a superb pair of verity audio lakme that cost 14k , however the hi fi gallery have a pair for 5500 .verity speakers are built beautifully .you can change the front baffle on the lakme

Verity speakers just sound beautifully right and have an emotion to them .i love my verity

How much can you sell the amps I've never heard of for? If a lot, yes, active Genelec, ATC or Geithain speakers. Otherwise, I know people happy with similar or identical front ends and they have gone PMC and Kudos respectively but probably more than £5k. Also, try me, I've heard of quite a few amps.

I owned some Verity speakers in the past and loved them. I heard some audio vector speakers at a dealer recently and was impressed with the sound and small footprint. Fyne Audio also have some great speakers around that price point. If you can consider standmounts MAX have a loverly used pair of SF Guarneri with stands bang on budget. As highlighted above, hearing them with your gear and music will be the key decider. Happy hunting.

Looking to update my speakers next. Quite like nice detail and pace, but also being musical without being analytical (so no diamond/ceramic tweeters!). Any recommendations in this price range? Medium sized room, looking for floorstanders

Brace yourself for a series of recommendations of speakers that are from owners of those speakers…

You may think we have not heard your amps but a little more about them in terms of power, topology etc is going to yield you closer and more appropriate suggestions that match. And matching is very important.

£5K is a lot of money for used speakers retailing at around twice that (or more). You just need to consider your room, presentational tastes, amplifier power and synergy. Domestic considerations may come into it (but shouldn't !;)) Think about the type of speaker; do research!

Everybody’s itching to out the ‘amps you’ve never heard of’ ;)

Nobody’s going to be able to recommend speakers if they don’t know the amp

I've been to a few shows recently. I haven't had much time to listen at length but from what I've heard my old active Linn 242s still take some beating. I would get a nice pair of 242s for £2k, a set of chakra cards two AV5125s to power the cards, and five cheap stereo power amps, say Behringers or Crowns. You should be just around budget and you will amaze your audio pals with your haughty disdain for fashion and sheer quantity of wires. I know it's mad, but I'm happy this way.

Fyne Audio also have some great speakers around that price point.

My son has a pair of F502SP. These are just under 5K in gloss walnut. High sensitivity so work well with valve amps but were designed using Rega solid state amps. I think these speakers are bit of a bargain as they don't actually have anything in common with the plain vanilla F502. It's the drive units, crossover and base from the F702 in a simpler cabinet. Although, looking at the cut-aways, it doesn't look that much simpler to me.

All of the Fyne speakers I've heard have sounded good. Not the least coloured things you've ever heard but have that Tannoy immediacy and air, tons of detail and very musical.

Everybody’s itching to out the ‘amps you’ve never heard of’ ;)

Nobody’s going to be able to recommend speakers if they don’t know the amp
Yes I see your point, but unless people have tried multiple speakers with that amp and have experience of them (which they wont have) its all a bit pointless.

Thanks to all for the active speaker suggestions, but Im gonna go passive, easier to tinker if I need to!

I think speakers are way too personal and system/room dependent for there to be a best. Choosing a system based on the reputation of the isolated components is probably the worst way you could go about it.

Quite possibly, but how do you start? Its not really practical to listen to all available speakers so you need some filtering mechanism. Price is one obvious one, active/passive, then stand mount/floorstander. But that still isnt selective enough. So what next?

My son has a pair of F502SP. These are just under 5K in gloss walnut. High sensitivity so work well with valve amps but were designed using Rega solid state amps. I think these speakers are bit of a bargain as they don't actually have anything in common with the plain vanilla F502. It's the drive units, crossover and base from the F702 in a simpler cabinet. Although, looking at the cut-aways, it doesn't look that much simpler to me.

All of the Fyne speakers I've heard have sounded good. Not the least coloured things you've ever heard but have that Tannoy immediacy and air, tons of detail and very musical.
Yeah Fyne keep coming up on speaker award pages (mainly What hifi but thats another story!), but I never have listened to them. Will put them on my listen list.

I have in the past had a good listen to the Marten speakers, Parker Duo/Trios/Duke2 etc. Little bit edgy for me, hence not really looking for ceramic tweeters

Quite possibly, but how do you start? Its not really practical to listen to all available speakers so you need some filtering mechanism. Price is one obvious one, active/passive, then stand mount/floorstander. But that still isnt selective enough. So what next?

I would be starting with a list of speakers you like and looking for speakers that are similar or liked by people who also like the other speakers that you like. So if you like Tannoy, look for speakers that are like Tannoy or that people who like Tannoy also like.

I would also be looking at what is known to work well with your amplifier.

advertisement

Back