Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best speakers for small-room, near-wall situation

Discussion in 'audio' started by seeformiles, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Best state your room size. For example those Monopulse 42A would sound tempting if your room can take them. The problem is, we know you don't have much space behind, and you are listening near-field, but we don't know if you're in a vast cave or a closet.

2. pauljdh

pauljdh pfm Member

Kralk Audio BC30 MK2 with PAW stand are infinite baffle sealed speakers designed to be used up against a wall, perfect for a small / medium room and have bass, despite being shoe box sized......I have a pair for sale

3. RoA

RoA pfm Member

Has the OP found a solution? At the beginning of the thread I hinted at ProAc's Tablette 10 but I would also recommend KEF's Wireless 2 or Meta. They are active and rear ported but have very efficient DSP with tone control and basic room correction.

I have mine right against a rear wall near corners in my smaller room system. No boom and they sound warm and engaging.

They are not cold or sterile sounding.

4. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Audioplan Kontrapunkt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15419053...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

These work well in a small room pretty close to the rear wall, not a difficult load despite the low 85db sensitivity, my brother has/had an older pair, similar design to these only in Black Ash cabinets, I did borrow them for a while and used a Sugden A21a, sounded really good.

I've no connection to the seller.

5. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

SEAS A26

6. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

Active studio monitors are another possibility. I've grown enamored with my Focal Shape 50's. For your listening distance you would be better considering the Shape 65 or Shape Twin. I've found them to have a very smooth sound with fantastic stereo imaging. Unlike many studio monitors, they also have unbalanced RCA input and unlike most, they actually have an aesthetically pleasing design.

Edit: I failed to mention that the Shapes all use passive radiators instead of ports, so they're happy placed close to a wall.

7. deej92

deej92 pfm Member

I believe Charney Audio Maestro are designed to be placed against/close to the wall. Pricey though.

8. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I see someone using a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IVs in a room 12 feet by 13 feet!

9. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

10. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Stevehuffphoto.com

11. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Yes they are definitely on my list to try at some point, hopefully they work with the same extreme positioning at the Pico's had.

12. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I find it hard to believe that a small room and with the speakers against the wall and getting all the room gain, can need a muscle amplifier

mega lord likes this.