advertisement

Best speakers for small-room, near-wall situation

Best state your room size. For example those Monopulse 42A would sound tempting if your room can take them. The problem is, we know you don't have much space behind, and you are listening near-field, but we don't know if you're in a vast cave or a closet.

Kralk Audio BC30 MK2 with PAW stand are infinite baffle sealed speakers designed to be used up against a wall, perfect for a small / medium room and have bass, despite being shoe box sized......I have a pair for sale

Has the OP found a solution? At the beginning of the thread I hinted at ProAc's Tablette 10 but I would also recommend KEF's Wireless 2 or Meta. They are active and rear ported but have very efficient DSP with tone control and basic room correction.

I have mine right against a rear wall near corners in my smaller room system. No boom and they sound warm and engaging.

They are not cold or sterile sounding.

Standmounts or small floorstanders, easy to drive, not too fussy with near wall placement (30-40cm from front wall), balanced, full sounding, musical and non fatiguing (not bright) w/ good non-boomy bass - what should I look at?

Any speakers that ended your quest for the perfect speaker in that type of scenario?

Budget under £1.5k used or new.

Audioplan Kontrapunkt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15419053...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

These work well in a small room pretty close to the rear wall, not a difficult load despite the low 85db sensitivity, my brother has/had an older pair, similar design to these only in Black Ash cabinets, I did borrow them for a while and used a Sugden A21a, sounded really good.

I've no connection to the seller.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Active studio monitors are another possibility. I've grown enamored with my Focal Shape 50's. For your listening distance you would be better considering the Shape 65 or Shape Twin. I've found them to have a very smooth sound with fantastic stereo imaging. Unlike many studio monitors, they also have unbalanced RCA input and unlike most, they actually have an aesthetically pleasing design.

Edit: I failed to mention that the Shapes all use passive radiators instead of ports, so they're happy placed close to a wall.

I believe Charney Audio Maestro are designed to be placed against/close to the wall. Pricey though.

I see someone using a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IVs in a room 12 feet by 13 feet!

I compared the larger (and cheaper) Zensor 1 and Mentor Menuet at the dealers several years ago and bought the Menuet. The smaller Menuet not only sounds better and more refined but is capable of going louder without breaking up. The Zensor 1 was already showing some distortion when played at higher volumes whilst the Menuet stayed clean and composed.

Good to note that there are few people here who appreciate the Dali Menuet / newer latest SE.

Yes they are definitely on my list to try at some point, hopefully they work with the same extreme positioning at the Pico's had.

I find it hard to believe that a small room and with the speakers against the wall and getting all the room gain, can need a muscle amplifier

advertisement

Back