advertisement

'best' speaker design for low volume replay?

While admittedly on the lower budget end (PFM side of things), improved lower volume listening was the #1 criteria when I set out last Fall to replace the PMC twenty.21s I'd enjoyed for several years. Long to short, I took a chance on Russell K. 50s and I'm very glad I took that risk.

I waited over a month before reinstalling the PMCs and they lasted not 10 minutes. I listen with dual subs and LFD amplification. Low and mid volume listening is richer, fuller and more revealing. It's eye opening how acclimated you can become to a particular frequency wash only to have another speaker in the same price range make your head shake in amazement at how much you were missing.

Add Harbeth Compact 7ES2 to the Harbie list.

I had the C7ES3 too. They were the pair I took to Scalford 2014 with my dCS Puccini and Nagra MSA. Many unsolicited comments of ‘best sound of the show’, ‘best vocals’ etc, much to the post-show disbelief and consternation of some Wam horn-fanciers...

Funny thing is, I just plonked them down where they fitted in the room best! Did sound good in that hotel room though.

advertisement

Back