advertisement

Best sounding 5670 tubes ?

Hello all.

I’m new to tubes in hifi, although it’s my appreciation of them in guitar amps over the years that’s brought me to getting a tube preamp.

I have some GE jan 5670 tubes in there but I’d hope for a wee bit more treble and air etc.

the amp is just a cheap Chinese little bear p8, although there’s a lot of well said things about it. It’ll be made from cheap caps etc, so I intend to upgrade these since apparently if you do, you have yourself a very nice preamp. So obviously the cheap components on the pcb will be contributing to what I’m not hearing, but just for the records sake, I’m wondering what valves people recommend for this and more importantly, where to get them. I’m guessing ebay will be very overpriced? I’ve seen some very expensive matched pairs on there. Would ideally be good to have a source where I know they’ve been listened to, if there’s such a place.

You're not going to find many substitutes for that one. The Western Electric 396A is an exotic unobtainable. Bendix, Tung Sol and Raytheon made 5670s, but 99.9% of the ones on the market will be JAN GE tubes.

Is there going to be much difference between Jan GE ones? Like if I bought some from Watford valves for example, would they likely be picked for sound and matched ? Or will they all just sound the same as the ones I've got? Maybe Watford valves should be the ones to ask about that.

Is there going to be much difference between Jan GE ones?

No, none at all

There are actually numerous brands on EPay, although I don't know the valve so have no idea which company actually made them (what any valve is badged does not mean that that company made them). Cheap too - £10-15 each mostly.
yitry - Langrex are offering at least 4 brands, NOS

5670 | eBay

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Aye, this is my trepidation with eBay as a source. It’s absolutely rife with all kind of elaborate chancers. I saw loads on there when I looked, which is what drove me to start this discussion. I’ve since read quite a few similar threads and reckon I’m maybe a wee bit more informed as to what flavours there are. Sounds like a lot of folk find the GE jan ones, although good, to be a bit dark in the highs. Would suit some systems down to the ground I’m sure, but I’m in desperate need of more extension and air there. It’s weird, it’s like it’s there with these, that there’s a lot of lovely stuff going on up there, but the output levels are just low at those levels.

From what I’m reckoning so far, it’s looking like what I might be after are some Sylvania Gold Brand. Supposedly great extension and detail, on both ends.

Perhaps I’ll put a wanted ad on the classifieds and see if that bears any fruit.

Thanks for the input. Hope to one day be able to give back to theses forums what i getting out!

Dave

advertisement

Back