advertisement

best sound I have ever heard from hifi

ps his name is Dave with permission his phone number is 01708 447344, you need to leave a message and he will call you back. He can build bespoke cones for any driver and it will have his genes in them !! as per the speakers I have described, but not the whole show, for obvious reasons. You might find the interview hifi World did on him many years back

My four penneth...
All audio is a waveform. Digital audio is a sampled waveform, regardless of bit rate etc so always loses a certain something. (This is why analogue vinyl is best, though some here will disagree) With speakers tweeters are more important than cones as the cones are for longer and thus more imprecise waveforms. We know a tweeter can sound sweet or harsh, like you can tell someone speaking with false teeth, there is a sibilance to the sound. I'm digressing.
Speakers are the most important. Amplifiers amplify. Source should be analogue.
But my real point is that room acoustics do make a difference. Try having a conversation in a restaurant with music and lots of chatter, its hard. Turn off the music...better. Cut the chatter...better still. A smaller room with many non reflective surfaces like curtains, books on shelves etc and your almost in a sound chamber...there is your speaker sweet spot. That's why a pair of hand made speakers will show a good sound...but I will bet a pair of other speakers would too. Which other ? Classics like LS35a, Tannoys, Epos....

Daves first remark when he came to listen to my system for the first time was funnily enough the lack of damping in my room!

advertisement

Back