advertisement

Best Rock Singers

Hello! My favourite are Freddie Mercury, Tina Turner, and Sting.

Sting, someone who doesn’t get enough mentions. I was playing Mercury Rising the other day and Brand New Day yesterday. Often played for that matter. I’m not so sure about being up there as a best rock singer but for composing, that’s a different matter.

Not sure about 'best' but there's a few specific songs / performances from the guys below which stand out to me vocally.

Warren Zevon
Tom Petty
Ric Ocasek
Paul Westerburg

There have been many good shouts so far (pun intended)!

In the "favorites" category, how about:

David Lee Roth
Jarvis Cocker

Father/son addendum: Ian and Baxter Dury

I listened to ‘an old raincoat won’t ever let you down’ earlier, Rod Stewart is the best rock singer. It’s a really good album by the way, mostly penned by Rod & he does a definitive version of ‘Dirty old town’.

Different styles but unique voices and great stage presence.
Kurt Cobain, Richard Ashcroft, Chris Cornell, Liam Gallagher, Jim Morrison

Best rock singer...crikey there are sooooooo many great rock singers. I have no idea who the best would be or how you'd measure that but I think I'd find it hard to argue with Robert Plant.

Since someone mentioned Klaus Meine (Scorpions) I saw them / him on the US Monsters of Rock tour and he was marvellous - such a lovely melodic voice. I agree about sting too..not a "great" rock singer so much (though good) but a genius song writer.

I'm not particularly a fan but since nobody's mentioned him yet, I think Geoff Tate (Queensryche) was pretty amazing and a really unique style. More fun to see in a reaction video from one of his live performances (9:57 for the "what the f..?!?")

If it's my "favourite sounding" voice though, it's one already mentioned: Todd Rundgren

I had never heard of Tarja Turunen until reading this thread (or Night Wish for that matter). As a big Renaissance fan, here is something to investigate. Heading off to Quboz now (supposed to be working...)

Mentioned before - John Wetton I have always liked - especially his Asia work. I regret not ever having seen him live - I was due to buy tickets before he fell ill and passed away.

Also much like for Greg Lake here.

Loads of great mentions so I won't repeat.
Don't think I saw Janis Joplin.
Sometimes I don't like the music so much but Steve Perry had a great voice back in the day.

Axl
Freddie
Ian Astbury
Plant
and a bit out there but how about Jimi Hendrix? He hated his singing voice but its so iconic worth a mention?

advertisement

Back