1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best reservoir capacitors for Naim NAP 160

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Gervais Cote, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Hi gents,

I'm about to rebuilt a bolt down Naim NAP 160 (ser. 1507) and I would like to get your opinion on the best pair of reservoir capacitors to use.

I hesitate between these 3 :

-1 : Nichicon KG Gold Tune, 10 000 uf, 63 Volts, dia. 40 x 80 mm long
    -2 : Nichicon KG Super Through, 10 000 uf, 50 Volts. dia. 40 x 100 mm long
    -3 : Vishay MAL2050, 10 000 uf, 63 Volts, dia. 40 x 70 mm long

This selection is based on what's available and what I think works fine. Also, I prefer the lug terminals to the bolt on screws for ease of mounting.

Thanks for sharing ideas.

2. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

3. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Thanks for the link for the Kemet but I am from Canada so I don’t know if this will work......

I sent them an email so we’ll see.

4. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

I agree about the BHC but I use the Nichicon KG a lot and they are also excellent, the superthrough ideal with the big solder tags
    Alan

5. Jeff Young

Jeff Young pfm Member

I'm not much of a believer in "audio" capacitors for PSU filtering. I'd go with the BHC/Kemet or the Vishay (or a Nichicon LNR).

6. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

For a good reason - the requirements are very different.

7. ramona

ramona Music lover

Nichicon KG always tend to sound little bit too analytical in every circuit I've used them. Just the other day I've pulled them out of Salas L-Adapter inserting Mundorf AG which sounded better for my taste.
    If Mundorf AG seem costly BHC or F+T are good substitute. Absolute best are the Sikorels and Rifa but they screw type and big to fit in a tide place (not to mention that especially Sikorels - EPCOS/TDK - are hard to find)

8. neiljadman

neiljadman Senior Member

9. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

I have purchased from RS and I live in Toronto. Also try some Mundorf's from Parts Connexion, here in Burlington, Ontario.
    https://www.partsconnexion.com/mundorf-electrolytic-capacitors.html

Good luck - Julian

10. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

11. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Wow !
    All very good suggestions so thanks a lot to all of you gents !

12. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

13. neiljadman

neiljadman Senior Member

with 299 on order and an estimated ship date of Jan 10th!