advertisement

Best Record Clamp for Technics SL1200 ?

TheMJ

pfm Member
Hi, had my Techie for about a week now and it's getting there

Achromat, Sumiko headshell, sorbothane feet and an AT440MLa have all made an appreciable improvement, so now on to the clamp.

Are there any favoured record clamps / weights that you use / are aware that are particularly good with this deck or would the Michell etc do a perfectly good job ?

Appreciate your input please.

Thanks

MJ

It seems to me that the things worth changing on the SL12*0 are:
- power supply, or at least remove it from inside the deck
- arm
- brick wall mounted shelf
- bearing

Until you've improved those, you're "putting lipstick on a pig". It's a great deck even in stock form, but superficial gizmos which don't affect the fundamental performance seem to me to be money wasted.

At the beginning of this year I tried a few clamps (Clearaudio, Thorens, Furutech, HRS and other unknown) and the one that soundwise I liked the best was the HRS ADL.

I'm not using the SL1200 and I would say that USD 200 for such a thing wouldn't be the best priority soundwise.
Even if I have a very good setup I didn't buy the clamp yet because I didn't want to spend that money for it. Just last week I ordered it because I got a great offer and could take profit of the lower USD exchange rate and the fact that the shipping costs would be parted with other items (HRS).
Once every x months these clamps are on Audiogon (second hand) but unfortunately every time after a day or two they are already sold!

- power supply, or at least remove it from inside the deck
- arm
- brick wall mounted shelf
- bearing

Until you've improved those, you're "putting lipstick on a pig". It's a great deck even in stock form, but superficial gizmos which don't affect the fundamental performance seem to me to be money wasted.
Hi sonddeck,

I didn't / don't want to spend big money on the TT until I see if it is something I can live with. Speaking to a number of people who own and mod these decks pretty much without exception the biggest bang for buck 'mod' was said to be the Achromat and it did make quite a difference. The other mods have all been 'pocket money' prices and the deck is now sounding half decent. If I wanted to invest big money I would go Timestep, Jelco750 etc but I'm not convinced yet. So for now, any ideas on suitable cheap clamps / weights guys ?

i'd ignore sonddeck he has very black and white views but doesn't seem to have had much exposure to certain kit....
i would try and get a very basic light weight rather than a clamp it will not make a massive difference and some records may sound worse with it.

MJ - I used a Michell (delryn?) clamp when I had the 1210, but the success (or lack of it) seemed to depend on the record, and of course the mat used.

I have an Achromat which I got machined down to the right size (by an RAF aircraft technician mate of mine) for the Technics platter about 18 months ago - I kept it because I use it on the Thorens where it works quite well, although I think I prefer the Ringmat on that turntable.

IME the clamp seemed to work best when only pushed very lightly against the record and done up just enough to grip the spindle. Too tight and it just sounded, well, 'odd' for want of a better description.

If you wanted to borrow the Michell clamp to have a play with I'd be more than happy to send it out to you (along with the 1210 instructions - sorry!! <embarrassed smiley> )

MJ - I used a Michell (delryn?) clamp when I had the 1210, but the success (or lack of it) seemed to depend on the record, and of course the mat used.

I have an Achromat which I got machined down to the right size (by an RAF aircraft technician mate of mine) for the Technics platter about 18 months ago - I kept it because I use it on the Thorens where it works quite well, although I think I prefer the Ringmat on that turntable.

IME the clamp seemed to work best when only pushed very lightly against the record and done up just enough to grip the spindle. Too tight and it just sounded, well, 'odd' for want of a better description.

If you wanted to borrow the Michell clamp to have a play with I'd be more than happy to send it out to you (along with the 1210 instructions - sorry!! <embarrassed smiley> )

Hiya gromit,

I've got a 3mm achromat and using the standard techie headshell with an
AT440MLa cart, avoids the much of the VTA issue with the Sumiko (still not perfect tho', royal PITA that is) and the deck is starting to sound OK. Already beginning to think it's too compromised to come close to the PT but we'll see :)

Yea, would appreciate a loan of the Michell if that's OK ?

Cheers

MJ

- arm
...superficial gizmos which don't affect the fundamental performance seem to me to be money wasted.

i'd ignore sonddeck he has very black and white views but doesn't seem to have had much exposure to certain kit...
i would try and get a very basic light weight rather than a clamp it will not make a massive difference and some records may sound worse with it.

i concur with the grom!!!
best upgrade will be an arm upgrade really.

???

Darryl, I'm not sure what I've done to deserve it, but if you look at the comments above you can see that first you told someone to ignore me, then you insulted me for no reason I know of, then you offered the same advice I gave (replace arm) and you agreed with someone else for repeating my original advice (that a clamp "will not make a massive difference") too. I have no history of discussing anything much with you, so I don't really know if your rudeness has a motive, or if it's just your way of making new friends. No hard feelings.

Anyway, I agree with you. A better arm is a good step and a clamp may not be the best use of funds.

As regards your allusion to my ignorance, my only qualifications for offering advice are that I used a top/high spec Sondek for 26 years, and now use a Technics 1210, and have recently compared, via the same ancilliaries, in the same room, in one afternoon, a Sondek SE, a Well Tempered Amadeus, and my Timestep/Technics 1210. I installed the Timestep PS, and have also listened to the deck with and without acromat, and with stock arm, OL modified RB250, and Ekos 2. I agree that it's not much to go on but I do feel that it gives me a little insight into where money is and isn't well-spent on a SL1200. Heed my opinions at your peril. Like everyone else's.

Has it been said that clamps are music killers yet is it?

They suck the life out, like a Vampire at a wedding.

DS

sonddek,

How did the Technics compare to your LP12 ?

In your opinion can the Technics be made to perform at a similar level for a realistic price ?

I currently have a Pink Triangle PTToo with an AO modified RB251 / Tecnoweight etc that I would like to replace with the Technics for ease of use etc but only if I can make the Techie perform ata similar level.

Doable ?

Hi Guys,
Much as I hate mentioning another audio forum on here, particularly AoS, a few months ago they had a clamp/weight 'bake-off' on a Techie SL1200 and the conclusion reached was that a weight of a little over 1kg (I kid you not) gave the best SQ (not a clamp, just gravity), about the same diameter as the LP label.
They are currently also waxing lyrical about the major step up the latest Achromat gives (announced within the last couple of weeks or so).
Regarding offboard PSU the guru (you know who) has changed his allegiance from the Dave Cawley Timestep to the latest Paul Hynes offering.
Might be worthwhile for anybody interested to pop over there briefly and have a quick read :) .
Hope this helps.
Dave.

I don't suppose there's a latest version of the achromat that fits the SL-1200 platter by any chance? :)

advertisement

Back