advertisement

Best MM cartridge on Ittok LVII?

I used an Adikt for years in my LVII, then tried an Ortofon 2M Bronze, but finally found what I was looking for in the Nagaoka MP-500. This is my long term keeper...

What about a Denon DL110, high output MC that works via an MM phono stage. Still very competitive at its price point and higher. It has a special elliptical tip too, and in my experience is very silent when tracking worn records, a nice bonus.

Or bite the bullet and buy an SUT.
Despite loads of bad publicity, I have now tried three (all around £170, pre-enjoyed :) ) and they really are something so much better than MC stages. I sold one SUT and that was a first for the buyer, and he was/is well chuffed too.

+1 for the Denon DL110 (I’ve owned two, 25 years apart) if it and the non-replaceable stylus are workable in your situation. Brilliant as it is, it can be a bit of a gateway drug to more expensive MCs, though.

Or bite the bullet and buy an SUT.
Despite loads of bad publicity, I have now tried three (all around £170, pre-enjoyed :) ) and they really are something so much better than MC stages. I sold one SUT and that was a first for the buyer, and he was/is well chuffed too.

I very strongly disagree!! There is huge variation in the quality of MC stages, head amps, and indeed SUT's.
I've had 2 customers for a head amp I make that both preferred it to £800+ SUT's and another who preferred my head amp to a £1200 SUT... (but unfortunately for me then tried a head amp at over twice the price of mine, thought it slightly better still and bought that one!). This last person was previously of the "SUT's beat head amps" school of thought...

Many years ago I had the Linn ITTOK with a Linn a K9 mm .In the price range of the Linn K9 I have tried many cartridge on that Tonearms . It was hard to beat a Linn cartrdge on the Ittok . A Van Den HULL MM (now discontinued ) works unexpected well too.
Good News yet a well set up LINN LP 12 with Linn ITTOK and you can't fail with any cartridge . High Output mc works well on the Ittok expecially if you like classical music . Don't think yet that with a Linn mm you cannot listen to classical music .

I very strongly disagree!! There is huge variation in the quality of MC stages, head amps, and indeed SUT's.
I've had 2 customers for a head amp I make that both preferred it to £800+ SUT's and another who preferred my head amp to a £1200 SUT... (but unfortunately for me then tried a head amp at over twice the price of mine, thought it slightly better still and bought that one!). This last person was previously of the "SUT's beat head amps" school of thought...

If there wasn't huge variation in any hifi component, I'd be more than totally astonished.
I have never used a head amp' so can't comment.

I did mention price, but perhaps ought to be clearer - my finances are reasonably modest, so my experiences are with a couple of stages (both generally very well regarded) and three SUTs, to around £5/600 new price, although I seldom buy new, as my finances are modest.

Try an AT VL 740 ML and be seriously impressed.
I'll second the use of the AT VM7xx series. Unfortunately, I can't comment on it's use in an Ittok, because I don't have one.
However, my AT VM 750SH is sounding mighty fine, mounted on my Kuzma S12VTA arm, on a Feickert Woodpecker Turntable, into a Graham Slee Accession...

I bought mine on a holiday to Japan, at the end of last year, for significantly less than I could have bought it here in Australia...

Already have a Troika but I'm toying with the idea to go MM...changeitis, I guess. Never knew there were so expensive and high performing MMs.
Also a question how far the Elite pre phono stage will go.

advertisement

Back