advertisement

Best MM cart for around a £100?

Hi Five

pfm Member
Hi.

I'm looking for the best MM cart for around a hundred sheets.

TT is an RP6.

I keep reading that the mp-110 is the one to get but is there anything else worth looking at?

Regards.

The 2M Red seems to get decent reviews at around £100
Never used one so can't really comment beyond that
I'm using the Blue but it's more £££'s

Mp-110 here, replaced an Elys on Planar 3. I was really impressed with how much better it was but the Elys might've been a bit worn.

I remember reading a nice review of the E3 cartridge by Paul Rigby. He was very impressed. I own the 1042 which has been a staple in my set up for a long while, bought in the late nineties I believe.

Mentioned a couple of times already...the Goldring E3 seems to be emerging as the front runner at this price point, if all the reviews I've read are to be believed.

AT VM95 EN, no contest. The Goldrings are AT cartridges in disguise.

The Ortofon Red is old news now. Nothing special.

Beware, old Nagaokas are a bit lacklustre and will tame bright speakers, but not so the AT VM, which is a tad bright, more CD-like if you will.

If you can spread to the VM 95 ML at £ 150, do it. This is a magical device.

I've heard both 2M red and E3 albeit in different systems. Both are good examples of how far reasonably priced MMs have improved over their 70s forbears. Casting vote probably goes to the E3, remember though it's a customised VM95 so VM95ML is also a possibility and would bring a microline stylus to the party minimising IGD and sibilance.

If you are choosing without a demo, then the VM-95 could be the safest bet. Where a different stylus can be interchanged - with some people preferring the Conical profile. Later it is possible to change/upgrade to a Shibata or ML profile.

Andrew

I prefered the MP110 to the 2M blue here, richer, although a change of speakers showed it up to be a little dense sounding. Still didn't like the 2M blue however and currently using an AT 440MLB. Would like to try the VM95 range at some point, as well as higher up the MP range.

If you are choosing without a demo, then the VM-95 could be the safest bet. Where a different stylus can be interchanged - with some people preferring the Conical profile. Later it is possible to change/upgrade to a Shibata or ML profile.

Andrew
I bought the entry level one to get a TT going and it punches way above it's weight, excellent vfm. Recently bought the ML as linked above, it's over budget but if you can add the thirty quid it's what I'd buy otherwise the Goldring. Wasn't that taken with the 2M Red.

I had a 2m red and then blue. Now have a AT VM95 EN and it is much better, a real all rounder and to me an improvement on the blue. A real bargain.

I keep reading that the mp-110 is the one to get but is there anything else worth looking at?

That would be my choice as being an MI design it is far less sensitive to phono stage loading and capacitance, plus Nags just seem to have a bigger, warmer and more easy going sound than many modern MMs and that would suit a Rega well. Add to that an easy upgrade later to a superior stylus (e.g. MP-200) and it is a great choice. I’m using an MP-500 and like it a lot.

I remember having a Stilton modded MP11 Boron back in the ‘80s and that was a great cart too, a real K9 killer at around the same price.

advertisement

Back