advertisement

Best mini T-amp Dac?

Uzinusa

Happy Chappy
ANyone bought one of those small T-amps or T-amp-Dacs from flea bay recently and found it to be good in terms of sq and build. I'm after a couple for little systems.
Thanks,
Andy

Bought one of these fellas to try in my office system (Squeezebox/amp/tiny Tannoys) and it's a cracker!

http://www.amptastic.com/

Bought it mainly to save space over an old Arcam Alpha amp, but actually prefer the sound.

I use a fleabay no-name DAC board (can't remember which one) which appeared in these pages with mixed reviews a couple of months ago

I bought a t-amp, a topping tp-22, based on 2050 I think, easily matches any 'budget' integrated I've heard, whilst being very efficient so it runs cool (could run it off a 12v battery indeed) though I use the decent quality SMPS supplied, and also been a tiny fraction of the size on a 'normal' amp. For a DAC I use an AUNE 24/96 dac/headphone amp, but there are loads available and they are probably all quite similar.

some internals on a garishly painted windowsill.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117175178558057692614/ToppingTP22TAMP30w4ohm10THDInternals

Thank you one and all. I'll scratch my head briefly, then spend a very modest sum and be happy no doubt.
Andy

Andrew

I bought a Muse - DAC, Headphone & Power Amp combo similar to this from this guy last summer. Cant quite remember what the power amp chip was but I think it was exactly this model. Claimed Power out was similar.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=110679272801

The amp part worked for 5 min and then went unstable. I had it plugged into my NS 1000M's and it sounded good while it lasted. I value my speakers more than to try again. Complained and he sent me a replacement fully populated circuit board but sadly no better One dead channel.

Concluded that these hand soldered high density chip Chinese stuff still not being subjected to proper QA QC and just gave up.

I might get the iron out and redo some solder at some point but these chips are just too small to mess with at my age and eyesight

They are relatively cheap and you may be lucky but if you can get something from a UK seller it clearly has advantages

eddie

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I borrowed a muse ta2020 amp not long ago and it kept cutting out and sending a screeching noise through my speakers. Scared the life out of me. The amptastic ones are apparently the ones to go for.

They're a mixed bag - most sound great (it's hard to go wrong with such a simple, linear design), but a scary number of the cheaper ones fall apart, melt or otherwise fail. Caveat emptor.

The Aune units are reliably screwed together, and the Pop Pulse / City Pulse, Firestone and Trends models are similarly built to last. The Rolls Royce of Tripath amps is undoubtedly KingRex: we ran a high-sensitivity open-baffle design on a single (£179) T20 with a little linear PSU at Whittlebury and it was honestly flat-out better than a £15K valve integrated we had on loan.

James
That's pretty much what my first Muse did. Played fine for 5 minutes just long enough to think all was well then cut out and a lood of loud hum on one or maybe it was both channels.

The whole sequence repeated if it was switched off for a minute or two

Never could try the DAC part as it outputs via the amp and speaker terminals

Same behaviour with analogue or digital input

eddie

Hmm, the Amptastic wesite is what one would call 'minimal', there's not even a link to their ebay store. Any idea what their ebay username is as it doesn't appear to be 'Amptastic' and that user seems to only deal in tat and not amps ...

Hmm, the Amptastic wesite is what one would call 'minimal', there's not even a link to their ebay store. Any idea what their ebay username is as it doesn't appear to be 'Amptastic' and that user seems to only deal in tat and not amps ...

Absolutely agree with that (and I'm nothing to do with Amptastic). However, there's a very complimentary thread about the amp on TheArtOfSound forum, so I sent an email to the contact on the web site to ask about the situation expecting not much response, but got a quick reply with more details.

I use the amp most days into some small Tannoys (from a Squeezebox) with no problems and don't notice any overheating. At £60 I'm very pleased indeed. A proper power supply is included, UK based and a 12 month warranty.....

advertisement

Back