advertisement

Best loudspeaker!

For a VFM and astonishingly vivid performance you should audition some Magneplaners. They just vanish being planer speakers leaving you with amazing detail and timbre of instruments.

As with ESLs, I guess, or are there subtle (or not so subtle) differences in similar sized Maggies v. ESLs? Have heard Maggies at shows (and fairly recently at Ipswich Eastern show; they weren't massive but acquitted themselves well in a large room. Unfortunately, I can't remember the s/s amplification, but it was judged to be both adequate and synergistic at the time.

Some enormous Maggies next door to my sister's old place many moons ago did impress (with valves, I think) but as I was probably messing around with Briks and Naim at the time the quality differences may well have been lost on me (with hindsight, that is).

I agree. There's something very natural about the way they put the energy into the room, too. It feels more like how an instrument actually does it.

Couldn't agree more Sue.Their naturalness is incredible and the way they do piano just sounds so real to my ears.Maybe it's the back reflection but sometimes I light a few candles and it's just the music in front of you.
As they do that vanishing act.Their magic.The separation in the soundstage is effortless.
All my box speakers in the past blurred detail.
BTW whats happened to your old Avater - It always made me smile when I would see your posts those old guys in the cell....one of the best avaters on PFM....JMHO :)

A really broad subject I know, but...
Listening to all kinds of music (except RAP?) what would you choose?
I have broken Shahinian Hawks currently but am open to any thoughts regarding replacements. Amplifiers are Dynavectors. Looking towards Harbeth or Devore based on what I have seen so far.
Any off the wall suggestions that I should listen too?
I have to say that wife's reaction to a pair of Shahinian Obelisks was "they are a bit small" Sorry John.
Happy 2022 everyone.

I've been a Harbeth owner for nearly 10 years now, going through all the SHL5 range up to SHL5+ 40th annies, loving each itteration and now I own the40.3 XD... it will be my last loud speaker, try to get to hear a pair. if you can.
Mac

Devore's would be the most exciting option for me I think, so you are already on the right track IMO.

Not sure if they would go well with the Dynavector amps though.

Good question. Anything up to £20k I guess but hopefully less than half that. I am looking to future proof which will mean smaller rooms so the speakers will need to reflect this. The Hawks were always going to go this year and what speakers they are even with knackered mid units on the sides of the head units. I may have been spoilt!!

Get something temporary until you know for sure what room your going to be using then you can start getting serious. Whilst not a big fan, something with DSP may be your best bet if you must have them now as they will have a better chance of working in a multitude of situations. Maybe get a decent set of headphones until that time. Raidhos or Borenson ( i doubt you'll get the latter for 20 k and it sounds like you want to spend a lot less ) are great speakers when set up but like at least 1m from all walls. D1 TD1 etc with good fast subs would have you smiling.

Good question. Anything up to £20k I guess but hopefully less than half that. I am looking to future proof which will mean smaller rooms so the speakers will need to reflect this. The Hawks were always going to go this year and what speakers they are even with knackered mid units on the sides of the head units. I may have been spoilt!!
I have broken Shahinian Hawks currently but am open to any thoughts regarding replacements. Amplifiers are Dynavectors. Looking towards Harbeth or Devore based on what I have seen so far.
I have to say that wife's reaction to a pair of Shahinian Obelisks was "they are a bit small" Sorry John.
Happy 2022 everyone.

I have always fancied upgrading my Arcs to Hawks but they allways been much to expensive.

How are your Hawks broken?

Pete

For a VFM and astonishingly vivid performance you should audition some Magneplaners.They just vanish being planer speakers leaving you with amazing detail and timbre of instruments.
I’m using some Magnepan Magneplan Ribbon Tweeters/Loudspeakers MG-IIIs in my serious listening room. They’re quite lovely. I found them in a little shop here in Newport about 2 years ago. I always fall hard for beautiful things. They need a lot of power though.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably go active. Quadral Aurum Titans are available in either type would get my audition.

Lots of great choice in speakers for under £20k, particularly if buying used (amps are another animal altogether). That said, I tried a lot of the brands named above and was underwhelmed by many! Being a married man, the aesthetics were a major factor for me as far as the WAF is concerned, so a few very interesting seeming options such as the Harbeths were excluded. While they were impressive to look at, I found the both the Magico S1 & A3 lacking bass (had been warned about this by the sales staff at the store - I fell for dodgy spec sheets once again). Likewise with the gorgeous Marten Parker Trio - possibly the classiest / most visually appealing speaker to me personally, but I just found them lacking a little oomph. Perhaps it was the room I tested them in, or maybe it is because I built up too high an expectation in my mind, but I found they simply didn't measure up. Electrostats and the like I avoid as I had a very bad (amp-frying) experience with them some time back, so can't comment on the latest Maggies and ML's. Despite their diminutive size, I thought the Wilson SabrinaX sounded fantastic, I was very impressed with them despite finding them to be one of the ugliest speakers around. Wish I had bought a pair in North America before moving to the UK as I find their local prices to be extortionately high (though to be honest, my wife would have probably divorced had I even whispered interest in them as she finds them downright offensive to look at). Some of the large-driver B&W's in the new D4 series sounded good (can't remember the model numbers), though I couldn't get past their odd styling. The Focal Utopia / Sopra ranges sounded fantastic, and ultimately I went for a Sopra 2 as they fit my personal price/ performance/ size/ aesthetics requirements best. Naturally, these factors and their importance differ from one person to the next, so in the end picking a pair of speakers is a highly personal choice. Truthfully, I found the whole process a bit frustrating as it is difficult or impossible to actually properly A/B test many of these together at dealers (at best I've been able to compare products from a couple of brands at a time, but even then there are often significant variations in rooms, treatment etc. that make comparisons nearly meaningless).

Happy 2022 everyone.
Don't buy anything with round drivers.

Don't buy anything with round drivers.

I'd second that.
For me, planar speakers were a revelation - they are completely devoid of issued introduced cabinet design and driver matching.
I've had Maggies and ESLs and the ESLs have better stereo imaging.
As with all speakers, they have "sweet" spots for listening. If you hit the nail on the head, then their "sweet" spot is very much "sweeter" than regular cabinet designs.

I'd second that.
For me, planar speakers were a revelation - they are completely devoid of issued introduced cabinet design and driver matching.
I've had Maggies and ESLs and the ESLs have better stereo imaging.
As with all speakers, they have "sweet" spots for listening. If you hit the nail on the head, then their "sweet" spot is very much "sweeter" than regular cabinet designs.
Agreed.

I had three Magnepans and two Quad ESLs. Eventually settled on Eminent Technology LFT-8Bs as a practical and great sounding choice.

All I want is a speaker with the coherence, tonality and "aliveness" of Quad ESLs with the dynamics, ease, and efficiency of Klipschorns. Is that really too much to ask?

:D @david ellwood you are hilarious at times

So - are the B&Ws your new main speakers? Judging by your earlier post you compared them to Kudos 707? And did you jump straight from Isobariks to the new ones or anything in between? I know how much you raved about the Briks for so many years

Personally I preferred Kudos 606 to B&W 804D3 but they are different price points and I haven’t heard the D4 range

advertisement

Back