advertisement

Best loudspeaker!

A few brands I’d like to try if I ever am in a position to spend that kind of money on speakers would be:

* Something from Raidho/Borresen
* Vivid Audio Giya series
* Magikos
* JBL S9800/S9900
* Something from Estelon

Aestetics are a big factor in my choices with the exception of the JBLs which I’ve heard and reaaally liked.

The limits of your experience are not the issue here, unless you’ve heard 803d4 vs Titan 707?

The Isobarik is long dead and hardly relevant these days.

Lol - so why did you mention it in your post??

I’ve not heard Titan 707’s but I have heard 803’s and would take Shahanian’s over them all day long. Especially with Dynavector amps as they are such a super combination imo.

I’ve heard quite a few of Alan’s (Alchris) new designs including the AR66, you won’t find better speakers for what he charges… helps he deals direct to the public).

My friend bought a pair of one of his first sets of AR2 and having heard them extensively they are superb.

I’ve heard quite a few of Alan’s (Alchris) new designs including the AR66, you won’t find better speakers for what he charges… helps he deals direct to the public).

My friend bought a pair of one of his first sets of AR2 and having heard them extensively they are superb.

I may write him and ask for measurements. Wide baffle speakers with large woofers are hard to find at any price.

Clothy, I am in a similar situation trying to figure out what’s next. Have had Naim Ovator 400s and Quad ESL 57s for 12 years, and am ready for something different. The question I am trying to figure out is: do I stick with small floorstanders or move to monitors with subs? There are lots of interesting speakers out there right now. In no particular order, I’ve been recently drawn to:

Perlisten S4B’s with D12 subs
Fyne F1-5 with subs or F1-8 without
Kudos 606
Vivid S-12 with subs (SVS probably)
Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition

Also really like Maggies, but don’t have the space. Biggest challenge is demo’ing. Bloody f’ing COVID! :mad:

Based on some of your memorable posts, I’m betting that you will choose the best speakers ever because you are extremely smart and make great decisions! :D

The correct answer of course is the ones that work best in your room. I have had a long line of respected & relatively expensive, if not at the level you are looking to spend, ones here & with the restrictions of my room & the fact I have a suspended wooden floor I ended up with Sonus Faber Toy Towers. Not expensive, not even particularly rated, but in here they produce the best sound of all of them. The room is so important.

In my house? In my room? With the music I enjoy listening to?

Original Quad ESL's that have been completely refurbed.

The correct answer of course is the ones that work best in your room. I have had a long line of respected & relatively expensive, if not at the level you are looking to spend, ones here & with the restrictions of my room & the fact I have a suspended wooden floor I ended up with Sonus Faber Toy Towers. Not expensive, not even particularly rated, but in here they produce the best sound of all of them. The room is so important.
That certainly used to be the case before there were any practical methods of removing room mode bass peaks, now you can use more or less any speaker you like and use parametric EQ ( Roon/JRiver) to remove the peaks and boom.

Lol - so why did you mention it in your post??

I’ve not heard Titan 707’s but I have heard 803’s and would take Shahanian’s over them all day long. Especially with Dynavector amps as they are such a super combination imo.

Well Duh! I mentioned them because its what Ive got at home, so obvs relevent to me.

When you say youve heard 803s you leave out the d4 bit, inferring that youve heard the old ones (which i would agree arent all that).

Its kind of nice that after a serious drought there are speakers worth listening to being made today, albeit at a serious cost.

For a VFM and astonishingly vivid performance you should audition some Magneplaners.They just vanish being planer speakers leaving you with amazing detail and timbre of instruments.
I agree. There's something very natural about the way they put the energy into the room, too. It feels more like how an instrument actually does it.

+1 for larger Kudos, larger Boenicke and B&W (but on the latter I've only heard the D3 range). I very much like Totems too but haven't heard their larger floorstanders

All of the first three better than ATCs I've heard (and I've owned ATC)

advertisement

Back