advertisement

Best loudspeaker!

Clothears

A really broad subject I know, but...
Listening to all kinds of music (except RAP?) what would you choose?
I have broken Shahinian Hawks currently but am open to any thoughts regarding replacements. Amplifiers are Dynavectors. Looking towards Harbeth or Devore based on what I have seen so far.
Any off the wall suggestions that I should listen too?
I have to say that wife's reaction to a pair of Shahinian Obelisks was "they are a bit small" Sorry John.
Happy 2022 everyone.

What's your budget?
I'd like to hear the new Alchris Audio AR-66.

Good question. Anything up to £20k I guess but hopefully less than half that. I am looking to future proof which will mean smaller rooms so the speakers will need to reflect this. The Hawks were always going to go this year and what speakers they are even with knackered mid units on the sides of the head units. I may have been spoilt!!

I’d say Obelisk 2’s if you are happy with the Hawks.

Left field alternative - some active ATC’s? Imagine the presentation will be very different but a thought anyway. SCM40a’s are sealed so a bit more flexible re room placement.

Interesting, thankyou.
Most of my listening now is either in the car or via a Naim MUSO and CAD setup so kind of used to non Shahinian presentation anyway.
I think as time passes we look towards more user friendly systems.
I am on my way in from a Linn Naim Isobarik system. Next step Dynavector Shahinian? Who knows where this will end.

Your mention of Isobariks made me think of Kudos Titan 707s. They use isobaric loading in the bass, but are much, much more cohesive and coherent than ‘briks. Could be a good option if moving away from the Shahinians?

£20k is still not mega money, so Rockports and similar are not on the menu.
However, would bag you a nice pair of s/h active Meridians or ATC. As already mentioned above, the JBL everests. I've heard and been very impressed by all of those brands, so I'd suggest that you see if you can get dem's on them.

I am looking to future proof which will mean smaller rooms so the speakers will need to reflect this.

I remember reading about some large JBLs having quite an early low frequency roll-off, so should be no problem in smaller rooms.

EDIT: Assuming the listening distance is far enough for the drivers to integrate properly.

Sorry, my post above should have ended “….playing “Live at the Ritz - Elbow”
Perhaps more a testament to the recording than the speakers, but both wholeheartedly recommended.
(The end)

The Kudos Titan 707 is a great speaker, I’d not change to them from Isobariks but they are have many great qualities and leave any shahinian for dead.

My choice would be B&W 803d4 which is a speaker I would definitely purchase if had the spare cash. Absolutely stonking!

advertisement

Back