advertisement

Best EP Ever?

IMHO, a 12" single with one track either side is not an EP.

The answer is of course, New Order 1981-1982

But honourable mentions for:

Who - Ready Steady Who

Shadows - Shadows to the Fore

The only EP I own is this Shadows one.
I spotted it in the loft the other day.
Wonder if it’s worth anything...

I have a couple of Beatles EP, Twist And Shout and No 1. I also have twin 7” version of MMT.

As for Tony’s comment, I, personally, could happily spend the rest of my life only listening to the output from the Beatles. It might actually be a good challenge for October. Nothing but Beatles month. Hmm.

I also have a couple of 10” discs. One by The Kinks (Shape Of Things To Come) which has 8 tracks and is almost a greatest hits disc as all tracks were hits and one by Rickie Lee Jones (Girl At Her Volcano) which has 7 tracks. The latter is a Quiex II pressing.

Joy Division - An Ideal For Living...

@Tony L - you can close the thread now ;)

Of course, how could it slip my mind? It's perfect, and I love the raw pre-Hannet sound.

The other absolute classic EP for me is The Cramps, 'Smell of Female'. I realise it's a borderline mini-album, being 6 tracks, but it is 45RPM, so that makes it officially an EP.

I think the real difference is I have never had much interest in ‘pop’ music...

^^^ This is exactly why you don't like the Beatles. It's that simple, and no more explanation is necessary or particularly relevant.

For those who do like them, I have heard there is about to be a new Beatles release. It's something that John was working on before he died. Ringo and Paul have finally recorded it, and it will be out soon.

It probably won't be a classic. 'Free as a bird' wasn't. But I certainly want to listen to it.

Mustn't forget A.R. Kane's Up Home! EP. Four tracks, all brilliant, but the sum of the parts is even greater than the whole:

Looking at my choices so far (Nightingales, Bark Psychosis, A.R. Kane, Sudden Sway) I'm surprised by how many of the songs on them are, at least obliquely, political.
Good shout, as is @Elephantears’ MBV.

Of course, how could it slip my mind? It's perfect, and I love the raw pre-Hannet sound.

The other absolute classic EP for me is The Cramps, 'Smell of Female'. I realise it's a borderline mini-album, being 6 tracks, but it is 45RPM, so that makes it officially an EP.
Their finest moment.

R-689431-1170419212.jpeg.jpg

417beVgQJrL._SX355_.jpg

HMHB-EditorsRecommendation.jpg

Cocteau Twins Aikea Guinea

Aikea-Guinea
Kookaburra
Quisquose
Rococo

My introduction to the Cocteau’s was seeing the video for Aikea Guinea on a Saturday morning TV show hosted by Gary Crowley. My life was never the same after that.

Hugely improved sound quality and room to stretch-out for extended mixes. As I understand it they started appearing during the Studio 54 era in the mid-70s initially for club/disco use, though swiftly adopted in rock and audiophile circles.
1974 when Tom Moulton couldn't find any 7" blanks for a test pressing of an Al Downing track. His Engineer spread the track over one side of a 12 and they listened to it open-mouthed.
"It was an accident you know," laughs Moulton. "I'm not trying to compare this to the polio vaccine, but didn't Luis Pasteur do the same thing when he left something in a petri dish over the weekend? So I kind of get embarrassed when people say, 'oh you invented the 12". No I didn't invent it, they just ran out of 7" blanks."

Studio opened in 77 which was a bit later but I'm nit-picking.

to the OP, do Peel sessions count? if Yes then 'That Petrol Emotion''s sesh' gets a fair few listens around these parts.

advertisement

Back