advertisement

Best drummer.. ever?

I really can be arsed with this thread except to say:..

It doesn't matter a damn whether Keith Moon was the best drummer in whatever. He was a unique drummer who gave a number of Who songs a revolutionary sound at the time.
Whether he can be copied in retrospect is irrelevant. So can Hendrix and many others.
Have a listen to Happy Jack and I'm a Boy.

P.S. I also liked Joe Morello.

I really can be arsed with this thread except to say:..

It doesn't matter a damn whether Keith Moon was the best drummer in whatever. He was a unique drummer who gave a number of Who songs a revolutionary sound at the time.
Whether he can be copied in retrospect is irrelevant. So can Hendrix and many others.
Have a listen to Happy Jack and I'm a Boy.

P.S. I also liked Joe Morello.
Big fan of Morello here too. :)

Nobody mentioned Jack DeJohnette yet? The most wide ranging ability of all. Doesn't need a huge kit and has played with almost everyone in jazz/jazz-rock circles.

Decent composer and pianist too

Been listening to a lot of eleventh House recently, and I'd put Alphonse Mouzon up there with Joey Baron and Joe Morello. Tread carefully on his solo albums, though, some of them are staggeringly cheesy.

Nobody mentioned Jack DeJohnette yet? The most wide ranging ability of all. Doesn't need a huge kit and has played with almost everyone in jazz/jazz-rock circles.

Decent composer and pianist too

....and he is an absolute monster on Miles' Cellar Door set.

He doesn't usually get the kudos reserved for other members of the band (Adamson, McGeogh, Formula) but watching this video:

made me realise how integral John Doyle's drumming is to Magazine's sound.

Great drummer. Great band. great performance.

Last edited:
You are clearly on a hiding to nothing when trying to assert that any musician is the best in their field. All I will say is that Bonham was absolutely extraordinary (I saw Zeppelin 7 times) and was the most musical drummer I’ve ever heard. Others worth mentioning; I love what Mick Fleetwood does as - like Bonham - it ads so much more to the music than just providing a rhythm track. And from left field, in the 70s there was a band called Wally from Harrogate who I saw play live umpteen times and their drummer was something special too.

Not read all of this thread but I’ll give you three of my favourites: Bill Bruford, John Hiseman and Pierre van der Linden.

Finally saw Focus live a few years back. He’s great. Moreover, even his solo was musical.

Regarding Dylan Elise, I found that performance boring. A case of “Ooo, he’s only 14…”. Unless he learnt how to be musical I doubt he went anywhere.

As an ex drummer I look for subtlety and the ability to stop you in your tracks. Moon was sui generis and I love him for that but, pound for pound I gravitate to the likes of Jim Keltner and Pistol Allen.

Alan 'Reni' wren would get my vote.

Out of genuine interest, why? He’s a limited player; confined to 1 genre and not especially outstanding within that. Never heard a drumming “moment” that stopped me in my tracks or made me rethink on this. So, other than his being in a band of a very particular time and place, what’s the specific thing or musical event that made you consider him to be the best drummer ever?

I haven’t read al 8 pages so others may have mentioned him already, but I have a soft spot for Gene Krupa. The power lurking below the surface on Sing,sing,sing at Goodman’s 38 Carnegie Hall concert is very exciting. I also like that, in later life, he was asked what he was most proud of, and he replied with ‘I made the drummer a high price guy’!

advertisement

Back