advertisement

Best drummer.. ever?

Steve Gadd - feel, groove, and technical ability.

My friend has played drums and percussion with everyone from Dr John, to Abba, Hans Zimmer and the Royal Philharmonic. Watching him in my teens changed my appreciation of music.

Well putting comparisons aside- has anyone else been watching clips of this outstanding talent from NZ?

I think this clip is perhaps the most astonishing of his, being only 14 years old here. Dylan Elise.

Let's try another tack. I've not looked at the video.

What do YOU think marks him out as special? Would you tell me this first, and then I'll go looksee.

Let's try another tack. I've not looked at the video.

What do YOU think marks him out as special? Would you tell me this first, and then I'll go looksee.
I'll bite. He has great technique, some interesting ideas on drumset voicing, and it looks like he's in control of what he's doing*. What I don't see is what I hope he either knew at the time or came to learn in the years since: the taste to not use all of that technique. Like the first law of funk, the first law of tasteful drumming should be that beauty lies in the spaces between the notes. Less is more, Man.

* it's easy to fake stuff like this: lots of quick ghost notes and frilly 'licks' can sound impressive, but what seems to be the case here (and with many great technicians) is that everything is being played intentionally, not random impressive sounding stuff (like I often did, heh heh)

Has to be Billy Cobham... but I have never tired of Hal Blaine since hearing him as a nipper.

Possibly the 'best' rock drummer, and certainly often overlooked is Brian Downey, and yes I have seen the likes of Peart, Paice, Powell, Ward et al though never saw Bonham

Right. Everyone STOP right this minute.

This thread is no longer accepting posts, & will self destruct in 10 mins.

So no point posting.

They say it takes 10,000 hours to become “good”.

Sometimes you just need to let the world know that you’ve put in the hours, no matter what the gig.

advertisement

Back